Ham Nation Pine Board Project discussion

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD8YQC, Mar 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4IQN

W4IQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops, I meant to say "my layout" is old not "my photo". You can tell by the resistor on the tube pin 3. The cathode now is grounded. Also, the mic input changed since then. Again, the schematic is current.

2. KE0EFX

KE0EFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all your contributions to this project, Gene! I have learned a ton from this.

3. K9EID

K9EID Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll start if off:
    Last week, Bob said to purchase crystals right away from International Crystal Manufacturing because they are going out of business. As many discovered the next day, they are no longer taking orders.

So, the next possibility appears to be this site:
    http://af4k.com/crystals.htm
    Halfway down on that page it shows 14 different types of crystals available. I have no idea which to choose. What is the difference? Is it just the dimensions, or are there differences in characteristics? I emailed the company but received no reply.

Other than a hamfest, the last choice appears to be this company in the U.K.:
    http://www.quartslab.com[/QUOTE]

4. K9EID

Thanks, Tom for starting this Forum. I truly love to share 'Real Time Radio' and this will be perfect for many that have never built an actual 'home brew' project .
    The fun parts is having so many of the seasoned operators writing me and expressing how the PNP has brought them closer to this great fraternity whcih we call Amateur Radio. Put Ham Nation into Google and you can check on the prior shows which the PNP was born about a month ago. Watch live Wednesdays at 8PM CDT. We are in process of putting up diagrams, pictures and layout in the PINE BOARD PROJECT section at the bottom of www.heilsound.com. Our media team is presently working on larger images which should be coming by this next week. Please stay in touch and share pictures and comments about your progress. I am so very thrilled to see this project gain such great activity which we all owe to Richard, W0BVT who joins us each morning on the MOKAM (missouri-Kansas AM net) 0900 3885 which some of his QRP Pine Board rigs and gave me the idea. He is a great mentor to me. Stay in touch everyone. We soon will have our Pine Board net - what say?

5. K9EID

To
    [/QUOTE]

Tom, happy to tell the group that Bry Carling's crystals works beautifully. I was promised by ICM two months ago as I was putting my thoughts and parts suppliers together that they could take our orders for a few months..... nope - so Bry Carling NF4K came to the rescue. Antique Electronic Supply has been invaluable for just about every other part.

6. K9EID

Best to CALL Bry - great guy. All you need to order is the 3885 or 7290 in FT 243 holders

7. W4IQN

W4IQN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got mine from Bry with no problems. I also ordered a matching FT-243 plug-in socket . . . wish I had ordered two when I did that. I must have gone brain dead for a minute. Old guys are allowed to do that from time-to-time. Who knows, maybe one day in the future I might add a crystal/coil switch.

8. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I DECIDED TO OPERATE ON 7275 INSTEAD. 7290 IS OFTEN OCCUPIED BY A BUNCH WHO HAVE BEEN AT IT FOR YEARS SO I CHOOSE NOT TO RUIN THEIR FUN

9. KE0EFX

KE0EFX Ham Member QRZ Page

An alternative to the FT-243 socket mentioned below...

10. K9EID

Yes, the group that sits on 7290 does not respect the Gentlemen's agreement that 7290 - 7295 was reserved for AM work. Same with 3870 - 3890. The Gentlemen's agreement was set back in the late 50's into the 60's when SSB was becoming prominent but over the years, the newer operators pay no attention and do not respect the AM windows. Some operators deliberately operate in these windows bragging that they are causing problems to the AM operators. Gentlemen, they are not. Some of us have moved down to 3715 on 75 meters. The important situation is that we do not sit on top of an on going conversation - even if THEY do jump on top of an on going AM conversation. AM operators are still Gentlemen !