Ham Nation Pine Board Project discussion

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD8YQC, Mar 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD8YQC

KD8YQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am starting this thread as a place to discuss and have questions answered about the Ham Nation Pine Board project, an AM transmitter project (an possibly more later) being done by Bob Heil on Ham Nation.

I'll start if off:
    Last week, Bob said to purchase crystals right away from International Crystal Manufacturing because they are going out of business. As many discovered the next day, they are no longer taking orders.

So, the next possibility appears to be this site:
    http://af4k.com/crystals.htm
    Halfway down on that page it shows 14 different types of crystals available. I have no idea which to choose. What is the difference? Is it just the dimensions, or are there differences in characteristics? I emailed the company but received no reply.

Other than a hamfest, the last choice appears to be this company in the U.K.:
    http://www.quartslab.com

2. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

3. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the FT 243 because they fit in a octal socket. You can put in two and switch them. I like the originals because they are durable where some of the new ones which are an old holder with a newer style crystal may be a bit light duty for an old tube rig . He has both. Does it matter? Not really as long as the crystal is the right freq and big enough for use in tube circuits it will work. Maybe an engineer would have different opinion but here at VE3LYX we just want it to work. On my BE rig I have sockets for all types and they all do the job. Big ol round ones , Ft243 the HC series etc.
    I have my set finished BTW works pretty good. I am pleased. I am currently op on 7146.
    don
    He will answer you. He is a busy fellow. I have dealt with him for several years. I trust him and I was born suspicious.

4. VE3LYX

I have mine working pretty decent. Modulation appears deep and good. I want more power so am building a twin 12bh7A GG linear amp. I have no idea how it will work out but there will be four triodes (two per tube) . It is just for fun. I have a homebrew twin 811A linear I could use but but I wanted to try this. Parts count in a GG amp is very low so cost is nothing. I just discovered though I have no more 9 pin sockets so I am short one which is holding up the adventure. I will probably build a Voltage doubler and steal the feed from the Pine board TX PSU. Might get 4 or 5 watts out. Who knows. Should be 14 watts input approx

5. VE3LYX

The series continues this evening. Fun project.

6. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Any good suggestions for a good tr switch to integrate the transmitter into and existing station?

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

WN6U likes this.
  8. VE3LYX

I actually do use a Knife switch, Double throw from Lowes (sceince project drawer.) Up for transmit, down for receive. Works so well I cant see any reason to change it.
    donVE3LYX

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, instead of being stuck with whatever might be available, you could make use of one of the many synthesizers available on a well-known auction site. They typically cover up to 40 MHz and use a CRYSTAL reference.

10. VE3LYX

I have not trouble getting crystal as I mentioned. There are several sites. I use Bry (AF4K )and have for many years but I also snag quite a few off ebay when I see them. also Hamfests there are always a lot available. Have also hand ground my own from ones under the freq As in just below the band.
    donVE3LYX
    You really only need one