ad: wmr-1

Hallicrafters SX-117 audio output transformer

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N6UH, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a 117 as well and have been using it for a few weeks now. It also got a pretty good review in ER a few months ago. I have it paired with an ht-44 and HT-45.

[​IMG]

N6UH likes this.
  2. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too!
    20190527_134527.jpg

3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice station!!

The 8640 is a very good Sig Generator.

Looks like you have a Cubic 130, I believe it is, on the bottom shelf, correct? and an older Henry amp on the floor by the 45's power supply.

How do you like the Cubic?? I played with one several months ago for a few hours, an interesting radio, but I didn't have it long enough to form much of an opinion.

In those days, there were a lot of changes going on in the ham equipment supplier industry and as we all know most of them died an ugly death.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:36 PM
  4. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. All I'm allowed is that bedroom closet so I have to make the most of the space

It still works as it should but I could do with something that goes low enough for the 50khz Hallicrafters IFs.

It is. I had the Swan 102BX back in the 80s in the UK. I regretted selling it for the latest whizz bang from Japan with the WARC bands on it. When I got back into Ham Radio after a 20 year hiatus, I decided to indulge myself!

I like it because it is a simple no frills radio with a decent rx, good passband tuning and a decent notch filter. It's also easy to work on unlike the more modern "rig on a chip" radios.

The older Henry is an original 2K which I would term a resto-mod. Original RF deck with a modern power supply beneath it, there's a thread about it somewhere on this forum.

The only 'modern' radio I have is the Icom IC706 which I bought new around 95 when we sold up to sail around the Mediterranean.

I've done a lot of RX comparisons between the 3 and my fave is the SX-117 given the very electrically noisy environment I live in.

I'm going to attempt to re-wind the audio transformer as soon as the wire arrives and put it back to original if possible.