hallicrafters SR-2000 time delay relay?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9AXN

K9AXN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pat:
    The P-2000 is designed to prohibit enabling the HV when in high power mode --- works fine.

For the no audio problem. Clean the Jones plug and receptacle. Also clean the headphone plug switch or try headphones.

Kindest regards Jim K9AXN

2. KI6NQT

KI6NQT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been almost 2 weeks, whats the status on your project? Making any headway?

Tim Ki6nqt
    Suisun, CA
    SR2000 Owner

3. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Headway? About ten pounds....

(I think Pat has been preoccupied with work, Kids' Day, and Field Day)

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, haven't been able to do a thing on it. Kids day/Field day were the priority and took up all the time. But I see a window of opportunity coming up NEXT weekend after FD. I do expect the Jones Plug to be well oxidized. Atleast it lit up, so filament voltage was reaching the radio. I did see some movement on the S-Meter, but no reaction to signals. I don't know how butchered up the radio is, as it was sent to one "expert" and he couldn't fix it. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with Impossible to get items like IF Cans and such.

I will feed a sig in and start tracking it back through the RF and IF stages and see where it ends. Same with TX. I don't see any visual butchering. I scored a SR-160 because it was butchered, and was able to fix it. So I do know my way around inside the rigs. Just need BENCH TIME on it, which this current order and frenzied work on WORK things has prevented.

So just a delay in progress for now....

5. KI6NQT

KI6NQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, copy the busy. Enjoy the weekend.

Tim Ki6nqt
    Suisun, CA
    SR2000 owner

6. WA6MHZ

Today I got in some SERIOUS SR-2000 time.

It started off miserably, no audio. I worried the Audio transformer was blown, but it turned out to be the bad contacts in the plug. Think I oughta go to the Junk store and get another plug. I tried running a mini file up into the sockets but it still is very intermittent. U hafta wiggle the plug just right to get contact. After messing around with that for hours, I finally got a tiny bit of audio out of the speaker. I fed a signal into the Audio amp and now I can hear it. But then, something went wrong and I blew up the nice HP Function generator I was using. OH OH!!!!

Back to the 2K. As I gently nursed it back to life and readjusted the IF coils that had been badly misadjusted, I started to hear more noise out of it. But I couldn't hear a tone unless I modulated the sig gen carrier. OH HO!!!!

Yes, the Carrier Osciillator was NOT oscillating!!! Readjusting that coil got it to work Now, I had plenty of audio and a good strong signal. I didn't measure the sensitivity at this point as I am just trying to get it to work at this stage.

The VFO was way off freq so that was corrected. But the Main (coarse) dial does not sync to the small 1KC dial That is supposedly adjustable, but I can't break loose the set screw to do that and I need a funny #8 BRistol wrench. I have the larger size but not that one. Also, looks like U hafta take off the front panel to get at it. So maybe that will just hafta stay wrong.

Time to try transmit.

For some reason, my HV reads only 1500V. maybe the dropping resistors are out of tolerance. But I goosed it and nothing happens on TX. I do see plate current, and can visually see the drive going into the finals, but no reponse when playing with the plate tuning or load control And not a DROP of RF out either.

So I don't know it the 8122s are shot or if something ELSE is seriously fishy.

I took it off the bench for now so I can type this. The Power supply is just RIDICULOUSLY Heavy!

But we are getting some progress. Think I am going to have to pull the final compartment cover and put my oscope and Spectrum analyzer probe in there to see if anything is happening. Nope, not so much as a MILLWATT output!

But atleast we are getting SOME progress.......

This radio has REALLY been messed with by someone with a GOLDEN SCREWDRIVER!!!

7. K4HB

K4HB Ham Member QRZ Page

All I have in stock are some Amperite 115N08 delay relay tubes in an octal socket. That breaks down to 115 volt & 8 seconds delay time. Since you said yours was 90 second delay, you would need a 115N090, assuming it's 115 volts. Don't know if you have an octal or miniature socket. Miniatures have a "T" at the end. Here's NOS on eBay that's miniature. Cost is $15 bucks buy it now, and the shipping is $6 from Israel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-V-THERMET...379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887cb0d23

8. WA6MHZ

After lunch today I scored the needed parts for the PS-2000 and installed them. Brand new connector on the 12 Pin Jones. Still need to do some sanding on the chassis connector as there is still some intermittents. But it works alot better. Also, the KV meter now reads 2KV with the chassis on it's side, which is understandable since I am running it on 110VAC.

OK time to yank the SR-2K from the cabinet.

Once out, I opened the FINAL compartment and (OMG!!!) Bypassed the safety switch. Now I had access to the PI-Net when the radio is in TX.

When in transmit, I see it draw 200mA of plate current, no signal. Cranking up the drive, I see NO CHANGE in the plate current.

I put my scope on the Pi-net to see what was happening. With the load control FULLY MESHED, I can watch the input to the Pi-Net peak as I tune the Plate control through resonance. So the pi-net IS tuning! But no RF is getting out of the output, and NO RF is seen on the LOAD control side of the Pi-Net.

I measured full HV on the plate of the tubes. I can feel the heat coming from the tubes.

So the Relay is suspect, but they made it so you can't get at it. It is on the very bottom of the chassis UNDER the Coils and caps and completely inaccessible. I know the contacts are good on RX as I can hear fine on it. But even if the contacts are NOT making contact, I still think I would get SOME RF on the Load capacitor. Hair tearing time.

So this radio ALMOST works now. Almost 5PM. I have put a good 12 hours in it today. I will have some time tomorrow after Elks Breakfast. Don't know HOW I can get at that relay, or if it is the problem.

The strange thing is I see NO CHANGE in plate current! If it was tuning or doing SOMETHING, I would certainly see some plate current change. Maybe it is something to do with the BIAS.
    Scratching my head.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what is going on over on the driver plate?

10. WA6MHZ

My scope says plenty of Drive on the driver plate! So no problem there! I just hate lifting this PS on the desk everytime I want to do some tests! Almost gives me a HERNIA everytime I lift it!!! Heaviest PS in the world!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.