Hairy American Magician ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Or PHOTO.

2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

All of that may be true, however I capitalize HAM to bug people.

K7JEM and WZ7U like this.
  3. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't read the whole thread, but the Wikipedia article on the etymology of "ham radio" doesn't mention a tidbit that I once came across-that the first true radio "broadcasting station", started by Charles Herrold in San Jose, California, in 1907, apparently used the word "ham" in broadcasts aimed at the station's listeners, who cobbled together receivers that were probably along the lines of the crystal diode controlled receivers that became popular in the early 1920s. The program called the listeners "little hams". This may have been the first open use of the term as applied to "wireless".

Wikipedia is likely right that the term is derived from "ham fisted", meaning clumsy. The first wireless transmissions were all in morse code, and indeed Marconi himself doubted that any other method of signal modulation was possible, and the vagaries of radio signal reception, which was still a complete mystery, may have resulted in frustrated ops pounding the code keys with their closed fists when the rx stn was unable to hear them, hoping that they could somehow will better reception by doing so. Since wire telegraph ops typically used their index and middle fingers to operate the key, they must have been quite amused at the sight of flummoxed wireless ops pounding at their keys with closed fists in fits of rage.

Some of the earliest research into radio was done at Stanford University, which had just opened for business a few years prior and which was eager for any edge over East Coast universities, which at the time considered study of literature and the Bible to be the pinnacle of knowledge seeking. It's possible that experts in wired telegraphy brought in as advisors at Stanford observed students pounding wireless keys with their fists and dubbed them "ham fisteds", a term in common use in telegraphy. The students apparently took the term as a badge of honor, Herrold being among them. Herrold likely was the first one to use the term widely. (He also coined the term "broadcasting", which previously had been a little used way of describing sowing seeds.)

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Mama always said the store bought stuff just doesnt compare to homemade....Never had the opportunity to try it though (Homemade)..

5. KD8DEY

You are supposed to put your HAM in the oven @325, surrounded by Pineapple, Mixed fruit, And a mixture of Heinz 57 & Honey.
    Some people prefer brown sugar & Mustard.
    (Aint Nobody Gonna poupon my Ham)

6. KD8DEY

Take it to the System..

7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If they object, you should tell them that you capitalize HAM when sending CW and nobody ever corrects you.

N2EY and N5PAR like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Or MODEL RAILROAD.

9. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a fairly new Ham, about 1974-75, I talked with an ancient fellow (Novice band, CW) who was a Ham before they even issued licenses (prior to 1912). He explained to me that the word, "Ham" was a shortened word for "Hamateur".

There were Swedish wireless operators back then who would complain, "all those hamateurs are crowding up the air". "Ham", short for "hamateur"; in a dialect the Swedish would pronounce the "H" sound when speaking the word, "Amateur".

However, how can I attribute this fact? I never documented it on paper; that old gent is lost to time. Isn't it great how everyone on the Zed is leaving documentation for future Radio Amateurs to read?

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You make a point. I am absolutely CERTAIN that the Earth is flat...:D And nothing you or anyone else says can convince me that I am wrong.:rolleyes:
    Obviously, I am being facetious, but it illustrates your point above.:)