ad: AlphaRF-1

Hairy American Magician ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

...and the world turns, just as it always has.:)

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W4EAE

Old men complain and young men break the yoke of the previous generation. This has happened:

ad infinitum

N2EY and WZ7U like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This shows that young men eventually wise up and become old men and nothing really changes from generation to generation.

WR2E likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus ça change ...

6. W4EAE

I am afraid this confuses wisdom with intransigence. We certainly become more unwilling to receive new information as we age, but a person can be absolutely certain of something and still be wrong.

That said, language has certainly changed from generation to generation. Read the Authorised Bible, then Chaucer, then Beowolf.

Spelling was not even standardized in the United States until well after the Revolution; and when it was, it was deliberately 'wrong' simply in order to different from British usage. Entire letters were dropped from the English alphabet in the 16th Century because printers did not want to have to cope with them.

Ranting against changes in language...

tiltingatgreenenergy.jpg

N2EY likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I predict bell bottom pants will come back as the new 'in' thing that millenials invent :)

WZ7U likes this.
  8. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think new licensees spelling it "HAM" would fit right in, given how many old-timers POST LIKE THIS ON QRZ 73S HI HI

Unless you subscribe to free-form grammar, you surely mean "it's" and "makes".

The flower children probably thought they invented flared pants too.

[​IMG]

See also that old aphorism about how every generation thinks they invented sex, despite some pretty conclusive evidence to the contrary!

WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I ate Souse meat as a kid in Tennessee. My Grandma ate it and so did I. Of course I didn’t know what was in it at the time.. The Kroger down the street sells it in the deli. I haven’t eat it or Spam in many years. Causes my gout to act up..

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Had it on good authority that our parents never had sex. Do you mean to say authority is wrong? :p