Had to use VGA cable with new LG 2290 monitor.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AB8MA, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will start by saying that this monitor is quite an upgrade from what I had been using. Despite being 21.5", it is almost too big for where I need it. It sits between my desktop and my ICOM transceiver. I will have no problem at all getting used to this.

The only issue I have is this. The package comes with two monitor cables, the VGA cable and a DVI-D Single Link cable.

My current video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, which has two DVI-I Dual Link ports.

This monitor has both a VGA port and a DVI-D Dual Link port.

So, when I first tried connecting this monitor to my system, I used the digital DVI-D Single Link cable. This did not work. All I got while booting up was a small window on the screen momentarily containing the words "DVI-D POWER SAVING MODE".

I just happened to have a VGA to DVI-A adaptor lying around, and therefore I am up and running with the supplied VGA cable.

I will refrain from describing my experience with LG customer assistance "CONSUMER UNIT".

Does anybody have any suggestions on why I cannot go digital with this setup?
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While you are booted up you might try and connect the DVI cable.
    The plug and play feature in Windows should recognize the monitor easily enough.

Once it "knows" what monitor is out there, you should have no trouble using the DVI cable.

Truth be known you won't notice any difference between the two.
  3. AB8MA

I've actually got both cables hooked up right now. However, when I switch input from analog to digital the monitor just goes black, then it goes into power saving mode described above.

Thanks for telling me that I would not notice any difference anyway. I think I will leave it be. If it works, why fix it? :)
  4. AF6LJ

I agree........
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Many computers will not have a vga and dvi port that work at the same time. HP does this, and others.

You can start the computer in safe mode and set the video output to the output that you want to use.

Sometimes you can set the video in the bios if the vga port is on the motherboard.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob -

Check your NVIDIA driver for MS Windows version you are running on the computer.
    Often, Windows OS and NVIDIA driver will default to VGA/analog. Check Systems Manager, for date of drivers & config.

NVIDIA web page will have latest drivers.
    BTW, I also use a LG LCD monitor -- it will spoil you.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. AB8MA

I experimented by adding the digital cable (the NVidia has two ports). The computer now thinks I have two monitors. :) The second input displays a virtual (empty) desktop in which I cannot bring up the taskbar. Just can't operate with only the digital cable alone.

I will not investigate this further, since this system gets replaced (7 years old) with a new (I5 Quad 2500X and Windows 7 Pro 32 bit) in about a week or so.

Might think about putting Linux on the older system, but space (and the KVM switch) will be an issue.

Thanks everybody. Stay tuned for Chapter 2. :)
  8. KA9JLM

You should be able to drag and drop to the second video display, If you have two displays.
  9. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect we may have a cabling/connector issue.
    Scroll down to the connetor section. I suspect the video card output is DVI-A and the monitor input is DVI-D.
    This will not work as the DVI-A spec had NO digital output. It's analog only. The monitor is expecting digital signals on a DVI-D port.
    Either use the VGA output or upgrade the video card.
  10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

He very well may notice. If there was no compelling reason for DVI, they'd stick with cheaper VGA.
  11. AF6LJ

If you are running XP
    the DVI wasn't directly supported and needed a driver installed on Windows XP.
    I can tall you on newer hardware and Windows Vista and Seven the support is not a problem not even a problem at the BIOS level.
    My roommate is using a six year old Vista box and has a ViewSonic monitor with a DVI cable.
    All works fine.
  12. KA9JLM

The NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT is DVI-I Dual Link and should work, with the proper drivers, and proper cable.

DVI-I is both digital and analog.
  13. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The NVIDIA software OR MS Windows Video/Monitor configuration (screen resultion, setup, etc.) can change that defualt condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.