Grounding Do's Don'ts & Why Part 3

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Mar 19, 2012.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Our ground here is best described as a pile of rocks mixed with soil. I do have a #8 copper wire around the house periphery with a dozen 6' rods. Many on-ground #12 and #14 solid insulated radials also connect to this wire, which along with the powerline neutral, serve as a counterpoise for the umbrella vertical mode of my 80 meter turnstile.

W6KCS likes this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and just for completeness: are those dozen rods tied into your electrical power service ground (I'm assuming yes)?

for the record, I'm the worst as having never paid attention to my shack ground (but thankfully don't live in lightning central... guess I've also been very fortunate over the years)

W9JEF and W6KCS like this.
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, indeed. All rods tied to periphery wire to which outside wall outlet grounds connect, tied to AC neutral, to which both sides of the 240 are bypassed with .01 µfd, 2500 volt micas. Two inch copper strap from shack ground, out window to neutral, and tower ground rods.

:cool:

KA2CZU likes this.
  4. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

This doesn't sound right, the outlet grounds normally run with the hot and neutral back to the service panel where they are grounded. And what's this about connecting shack ground to neutral outside the shack, and then to ground rods? It sounds really screwed up, the three things (lightning protection, electrical safety ground, and neutral) should only be connected at one point, normally the service panel, it sounds like you have all kinds of odd connections. I think you should get an electrician to help.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You said it!

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Never, ever tie neutral to ground anywhere but at the service panel!

W6KCS likes this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You went into the outlet boxes and pokes a wire through the wall and connected to the outdoor ground?

All kinds of ground loops being created there.

Man that’s just wrong!

I’m not sure what to think of the capacitors. ....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page