Grounding Do's Don'ts & Why Part 3

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Mar 19, 2012.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

add inability.

Gettin' old is a b1tc4!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Since US 412 went through, I rarely travel Hwy 68, but the other day, I checked, and there's 3-phase about a mile away in that direction (west).

We cool our home with 2 window a/c units, plugged into opposite phases, effectively running on 240. When the Volt is charging (at 120 v), we use the microwave, etc. on the other side. Throughout the house we eliminate current through the neutral as much as possible.

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the way it is suppose to be done and required by code for Sparkies to wire everything up splitting 120 volt loads between L1/L2. Granted it is impossible to balance the loads and there will always be some Neutral current flowing back to the transformer, but if wired to code and done correctly, you can keep neutral current to the transformer fairly low. What you cannot control is what the utility does, and even if you did balance the load perfectly has absolutely no effect in utility neutral current.

Would be nice to see the USA change change operating voltages to 240 VAC. Requires no change in infrastructure and would solve all kinds of problems on the user end. Would be a pretty simple phase in today, since most gizmos can already work on either 120 or 240. Lighting could be an issue in the short term. Electronics no problemo.

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly and with proper planning and understanding no more expensive in most installations that are half half baked. You gave a good example of using copper water pipe as a buss bar.

Another great true story is I have done a lot of Mission Work, some in India in villages where a lot of people are killed and injured by lightning. They live in huts with dirt floors and trees nearby. When lightning strikes a tree nearby, many residence are injured and killed. It was very easy to remedy and cost almost nothing to fix using a Ground Ring. We gathered any kind of wire we could get our hands on, Fence wire, telephone wire, mattress springs, you name it all salvaged. Dug a shallow trench around the huts and problem solved. The Ground Ring shunted all surface current around the huts thus minimizing Step Potential Difference along the surface to tolerable levels. Still get letters from Villagers on work we did 25 years ago.

I would add to that is myths, ignorance, and "that is the way I have always done it wrong". Great example of all 3 is operators completely misunderstanding the term Isolated Ground thinking that means not connected to the utility or any other ground system. Even see that ignorance from equipment manufactures like CNC and VFD.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019