ground radial coils

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD8DES, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KD8DES

KD8DES Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a HyGain vertical and live on a very small city lot. I plan to put the vert. on a roof tripod. I want to lay out 3 or 4 radials per band. In an effort to save space, can I shorten ground radials using (homemade) loading coils? How will this affect my radiation pattern and S/N, if at all?

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you can. It will make your bandwidth a bit narrower though. Shouldn't affect your radiation pattern measurably.

eric

3. KD8DES

Thank you, Eric. Just what I needed to know. I may have to sacrifice bandwidth, but with my tiny lot (and lack of tall trees), I may not have a choice. ...Mike

4. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an issue with not enough room for radials if I ran them out straight. I layed them out in what ended up as spiral pattern. This took up a lot less room, but took some planning to get them down.

They did not effect band width, but were a bit hard to tune.

I have also run some radials in a zig zag to fit the garden (and not upset the wife).

These were for home brewed antennas.

Good luck.

5. KD8DES

Thanks, Dan. I have very little room to work with, but may be able to "zig-zag" a couple of radials. However, this could be a better option than sacrificing bandwidth.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

To minimize horizontal radiation, you want your zigs and zags as symmetrical as possible. (Your zigs don't have to be symmetrical with your zags, but each zig should be symmetrical with the other zigs, and your zags symmetrical with your other zags).

eric

7. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

How well do "artificial earths" like the MFJ 931 work? The theory is fine, but ... :D

This would certainly avoid the problems of a physical radial earth system, but it's an extra tuning operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.