Grey-line propagation??

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0LPL, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all grey line propagation...something I have developed an interesting but a few things I dont understand.

I have had limited success inc a fantastic contact from UK to the USA on 160m...still excites me the thought of that one.

But...been getting on the radio 30min before my published sunrise...on looking out of the window to my eastern horizon were I see the sunrise in the UK...at the time I see the sky is already starting to brighten quite a lot at that time but the sun is still below the horizon...as I say this is 30min before posted sunrise.

So do I need to be on the air at sunrise as it already getting starting to get light or twilight which is 50mins before our sunrise...

Hope I am make sense.

Nick 2E0LPL

2. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I try to be on the radio closer to the twilight time or even a few minutes earlier. During the Winter I work gray line often in the evenings and during the summer I tend to do more in the mornings. This is due to my work schedule and what fits the best for me. I have worked VK and ZL QRP on SSB from North Carolina on 40 and 20 meters during gray line so it can be a fun time.

3. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I was wondering...I will work by setting up just before twilight.

Many thanks.

4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you will run 160 m WSPR for a couple of nights, the grey-line times will show up fairly definitively!

AG5DB likes this.
  6. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

from the article N4OGW linked to:

Yes! Most definitely.

I've been able to work the special event stations in Spain on 40 just before sunset here in AZ.

8. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO and WD4IGX like this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

GRAYLINE effects refer to locations along the terminator, encircling the globe along a Great Circle Route. The GRAYLINE provides a low loss path of varying width and duration depending on frequency. On the Low Bands these propagation openings only last for a few minutes.
    On 40 meters, you may only get 15-20 minutes (maximum).
    ==
    When I received my new Elecraft K3, over a decade ago,
    I connected it to the 40 meter vertical that I was using, at that time.
    ==
    It was early June afternoon in the Midwest USA.
    I called CQ on 40 meters for my first contact on the Elecraft K3.
    A station in Uganda replied (solid S9) ... nice First Contact on the K3.

After a 5 minute QSO, we signed — as his signal strength was beginning to fade.
    Other stations tried to contact him, but failed.
    Looking at the Globe, and position of the terminator at that time,
    it was an obvious Gray-Line contact.

Last edited: May 27, 2019