great ham radio print that my wife gave me!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KU8V, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. KU8V

KU8V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife surprised me with a gift of a reproduction of this Schlitz ad, from around 1952 I think. I'm not sure I can imagine her waiting on me hand and foot to bring me beers while I spend countless hours on the radio. But she is remarkably indulgent in accommodating my hobby, and having a laugh about it as well.

David Ballenger

2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is really really nice. I'd keep her if I were you.
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

His desk is MUCH too clean!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

A forum member has that picture as his avatar.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahem..... :D:D (I believe there's one other, and his is a bit larger in the crop)

I might add that when I first saw this ad back in 2006, I checked all the callsigns - W2BOB is
    the only "real" one - I emailed with him then - he had no idea his call had been used in a
    beer ad, even while the ad was current (he's had the call for decades).

Fun stuff.!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite my avatar, my XYL doesn't bring me a cool one to the shack either.
  7. KU8V

KU8V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I'm definitely a lucky man!
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well... we can all dream of such a thing occurring can't we?
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting antenna setup you have on your townhouse; well done!
  10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Times have sure changed since 1952. Women in dresses and men wearing ties at home. I can remember my family driving across country in the 1950's and my father wearing a suit every day of the trip.
  11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never liked Schlitz beer, but for years when my wife and I were first dating we spent every Friday night in the old tasting room in the basement of the Schlitz brewery. Since then we have a small collection of Schlitz ephemera, and I'll have to keep my eyes out for one like that.
  12. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

13. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing this with the forum. It's great!
  14. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahhhh, the good ole days when men were men and women catered to their every need. Would like to elaborate but gotta go and fix dinner for the XYL.
  15. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

That is because the good wife cleaned it up for him!
  16. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those were good times, they had their bad points but so does the present day.
  17. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I do marvel at the ads of the time, and even period pictures, at the routine formality exhibited. Suits and ties in church are getting rare (no, I don't wear one either but khakis and a nice shirt will do). No way could I imagine sitting down at the rig in a tie but it seems that happened, perhaps not as much as the period ads would have us believe.
  18. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you made me look that close at the picture, I noticed he thinks she is wielding a frying pan. That or he's about to call CQ for the first time.
  19. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an enhanced version of the original file posted on this thread. I upped the brightness and color saturation make it pop a bit more.

Personally, I think this is a rendering of the radio room aboard a Lockheed Super Constellation airliner. Why else would the woman serving that "Sparks" be wearing a stewardess uniform? :D
  20. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Back in my parent's generation, women did wear outfits like that. Men, however, did not wear pink shirts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.