Government shutdown closes local museum

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K8MHZ, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a list of what part of the government is being shut down.

Not mentioned is art museums.

[h=1]Ford Museum shuts down with government
    [/h] Two ArtPrize finalists to be moved outside

My thoughts were about the same as the first commenter. How about shutting down the pay from the top to the bottom until this gets worked out?

But no.......let's put the bite on disabled vets, active duty personnel, women, infants, children and those that can't afford housing.

And people that like art.
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty bad.

I just tuned in to WWV--they're devoting the first five minutes of every hour to a fundraiser.

Small donations get you the tote bag, but for $10,000, you get a real atomic clock.
  3. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

The DOW is responding positively to the cutting of the waste.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Each day of shutdown is one less day our freedom and liberty are being attacked. Time to open a diet black cherry and celebrate.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The economy always grows during government shutdowns. No wonder liberals think it is a bad thing.
  6. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man a real atomic clock!
  7. KC0YEJ

KC0YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That'd look really cool in my shack!

8. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're camping in a federal park, just stay there. If they really don't have money to keep them open then the rangers shouldn't be there to kick you out!
  9. KG6JTB

KG6JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Today's financial market report brought to you by folks who point to a late spring snow as evidence that global warming is a farce.

Give it a week or so. A billion dollars a day not flowing back into the market isn't a good thing for the economy in general.
  10. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol now they care about the economy.

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably not the week to expect my 2012 federal refund.
  12. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

At the Grand Canyon that is just 125 miles from my house they told residents of the hotel they had 48 hours to make other arrangements and get out I am told.
    I don't know about the camping situation but I suspect they were told the same.
    And security will still be in place I am sure as they will be considered essential personnel.
    My wife and I are retired US Civil Service and glad to see that our retirement checks came in today.
    But we went through a few shutdowns while we worked too. Even though we worked on the nuclear subs we were not considered essential personnel and we were sent home at times.
    Perhaps these elected representatives we have should be made to go to class to learn how to serve.
    It would be much better than some of them standing in the corner holding their breath like small children. :rolleyes:
  13. K7WFM

14. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was hoping for less traffic today, but nope.

Guess nobody around here works for the Fed.:(
  15. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem finding a parking spot at the shopping center for lunch at the local Subway, or a seat in the place. Other than that not much effect here.
  16. K7WFM

The government is stating that 800,000 nonessential people will be off the clock. 800K !

Let that number sink in for a few moments.
  17. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want to burst your bubble but the people and things that do most of that are not really effected by a shutdown. There are people around here that seriously thought that a shutdown would stop ACA also when it's really not effected either. The NSA can still read your mail. The TSA is still going to rub you down at the airport. The FBI can still open a file on you also but you may get a break from the IRS audit/review teams. If you had a passport being expressed through the channels for that business trip next week, you're screwed.
  18. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, Yep. you can become a real urban outdoors man/woman. :0 :)
    Bo Wb4whj
  19. W7KKK

When I worked CS the laws on the books for the feds required that they give advance notice before a furlough could take place. I have no idea what they are now.
    At times the wife and I were sent home for a couple of days at a time while working for DoD.
    The funny thing is that because the Fed could not and did not give proper and timely notice we got paid for the time we were sent home anyway.
    Now that makes a lot of sense to pay someone and lose their services for what you pay them to do.
    Then again if you want common sense see the record of our congress for the last few years.:rolleyes:
  20. W7KKK

Just think if they sent the FAA tower people home the airlines could not fly! Now that would be an impact that many would not like.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.