ad: dxeng

Got my first HF rig. How did I do?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG4GHN, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. KG4GHN

KG4GHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to a local hamfest at the end of this month and upgrading to General. Been taking lots of practice tests on here and on an app for my iPhone.

Bought my first HF kit off of a local guy and wondering if I did ok.

I spent $600 and got a SGC SG-2020 transciever (only 20 watts but pretty good reviews), a Astron RM-35M 35 watt power supply, a MFJ dc connection board, and some sort of pre-made multi-band sloper antenna made by Alpha Delta communications. Also came with some random coax and some kind of super cheap mag mount antenna, probably CB or something.

[​IMG]

2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am cheap a** so don't take this personally but I think I could have done better off Ebay with shipping. Good luck anyway have fun!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on all.

I would not have recommended the SGC-2020 (having owned one), but it's already done, so enjoy it and hope it works okay for you.

That power supply is a more expensive model: It's the rack-mount version, which costs more than the normal "desktop" model and is popular with repeater owners -- so you got a good deal on that.

Good luck with the test!

4. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya gotta start somewhere! Nothing quite as exciting as getting your first HF rig on the air. If you got to check out the rig at the hamfest or know the seller that is certainly worth something.
    20 watts should do okay for you. Much better than QRP. Get it on the air and make some contacts.
    Some people will keep the same rig just about forever since it meets their needs but most will own a few (or a LOT) of them through the years as their interests, needs or desires change.
    Have fun!

5. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

20 watts will do you. Get it on the air!

6. N9ZMO

N9ZMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, now get up on the air and start having some great fun.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some really like the SGC-2020. I never did, but it does have some interesting attributes, including being pretty weather resistant if used outdoors without protection.

I've never heard one, ever, that "sounds good" on SSB.:p And I've heard a lot of them over the years.

But any rig is a lot better than no rig, and it should certainly make lots of contacts with the right antenna(s). Because they do have a small following, they also hold their value well and can probably be sold a few years from now for about the same price.:eek:

The antenna is more important, anyway.

8. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never heard of this radio. For future reference, you will always get great advise on this site if you throw the question out here before you buy. I read the website about the radio and it sounds nice. Have you had it on the air yet? QRP 5 watts is a real challenge to me, the typical 100W out radio is standard for a reason and 20 watts is kind of in the middle so that is good.

9. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a cheapskate as well, 600 could get me 2-3 tube radios.... make me happy :) But if your happy with it then that's great! Have fun rag chewing and working DX......

10. KG4GHN

KG4GHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not had it on the air yet as I am upgrading my license the 23rd of this month. I also do not have an HF antenna up so I can't listen yet. It does turn on and all of the buttons and stuff work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.