ad: elecraft

Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting tonight

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AB3QU, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AB3QU

AB3QU QRZ Member

I Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting for the first time Tuesday evening.. I decided to visit this radio club for the first time (and the last time for me) .. Drove 20+ miles got to the place found a parking place got out of the car and headed to the door.. Then this feeling came over me that I better leave.. I remembered a ham telling me they (K3MJW) did not like outsiders and I was thinking that being from 8 Land (Ohio) I was about as outside as one could be... Pennsylvania gives most hams from out of state the UnWelcome feeling.. Anybody else had a nice cold shoulder & unwelcome feeling from the local radio clubs ?
  2. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you hear banjos? What happened? :D
  3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What feelings?
    Since moving to TX I have actually encountered:

….what is 7 (seven) doing on OUR reflector???....
    …we do not experiment with antennas on Field Day...almost told to go away...
    ( later frantically saving their equipment from torrential rain storm with the club members “observing”...)
    …. been denied access to discussion after agreeing with a local that „our meetings are boring“
    ( Later offered to be allowed back which I respectfully declined )
    … after suggesting few changes in operation ( in writing) , been told „this is the way we have always done it and we are not going to change”...
    ,,,been kicked out from volunteering to be a QSL manager after some disagreements with the self appointed “club czar“....

These are my actual experiences, not just feelings. You came to your own conclusion.

On the bright side, recently talked to many really friendly folks during not strictly amateur radio gathering.
    Had a blast operating one of the TX premium contest setup, a real antenna farm, in a great company.

There is still hope for this misfit to fit in somewhere.
    My motto now ….never give up, never surrender.

73 Vaclav
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Try having a newish "technician" callsign (I've never held a technician class license, btw).

Or, try being young. I'm not all that young, but I look much younger than I am, which is a good thing among everyone else in this world except hams, apparently.
  5. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had mostly positive experiences with Radio Clubs. I just don't like hanging around with people who are almost twice my age. It's like visiting a retirement village. When I was taking my General Class Exam, I did encounter one grumpy VE that kept complaining that he "just wanted to get this over with and go home". I would've shrugged it off except he kept on and on with it. I told him he should reconsider his volunteer efforts.

My advice; keep looking. If you really want to be part of a Club, you're bound to find a group to fit in with eventually.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I have checked into a net for the PA club and they were quite welcoming to this old boy from VA.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our clubs here welcome everyone who still has a pulse.

In most, about 70-80% of the membership are guys over 55 years old.

We trip over ourselves rolling out the welcome mat for anyone younger; if they don't join, the clubs will all die (literally) in the next decade or two.
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KA2ODP

KA2ODP Ham Member QRZ Page

You never actually went inside the building where the club meeting was being held. No actual interaction with the club members present. No actual experiences to report. Yet you post a negative comment about a specific radio club. Sounds like a Troll...
  10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand the "cold shoulder..."

I became involved with a group of hams that met every Friday for lunch. Everything went along fine until one day when I became a bit over-animated in my conversation. One of the others hams came over to me after lunch and mentioned I should tone things down a bit. I apologized to him and said I would keep it in mind. I figured everything was fine until the next week when I didn't receive the e-mail saying where the group was meeting that day and I haven't received one since (three months) in spite of a couple of e-mails to the organizer.
  11. KJ4ZNK

KJ4ZNK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the good fortune of being in an area with a great club; W4UCJ, Thomasville Amateur Radio Club. I imagine that Radio Clubs are like all other organizations; there are some that are more insular for whatever reason, good or bad, and there are some that are much more open. Our current roster shows 169 members, with probably two dozen being family members; over a period of time many of the family members have become licensed. We have an active outreach for youth in our area, with Youth Nets every week and Youth Activities at our Hamfest and for Field Day. We actively encourage our young people to participate in ARES; a high school student trapped in a school, after a tornado, with an HT will be able to save lives! I can think of a dozen members, off the top of my head, that are under 18, with many that are 12 or under! The range of member ages for adults is across the board, from college students to senior citizens.

We have members that will help you build an antenna, help you diagnose a radio problem, teach classes, be VE's, talk at your school, meet with public officials, or any other activity that promotes Amateur Radio.

All of this is happening in rural Southwest Georgia/North Florida!

I say all this, not so much to brag about our club, but to enforce the idea that there are friendly, family oriented, growing Amateur Radio Clubs out there; if you have not found the one that "fits" for you, keep looking!
  12. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't consider joining any club that would have me as a member.
  13. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So you didn't actually go inside? If not then how can you tell us you were not welcome? :confused:

I read the article from the link that was posted and it struck me that if this club welcomes non hams to their club station then they would likely welcome you.

Your statement would be like me saying "That golf course is a dog track" and yet I have never set foot on the course.
  14. GI4SZW

GI4SZW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In sunny Ireland we would welcome the walking dead to a meeting,,,, come visit us,,,,,,, Seamus GI4SZW / EI4KE
  15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club goes on every year. It's vital and alive, and I'd guess that more than half of the members are under 55. We strive to have good presentations every meeting. The last one featured a renowned DXpeditioner, Dr. Glenn Johnson, W0GJ, fresh back from Malpelo with his talk titled "To Hell and Back". In January, we had Tom Vinson, NY0V, one of the leading members of a team of researchers seeking Amelia Earhart's plane that have been featured on PBS.

The club membership stays fairly steady at around 100 in a county with about 500 hams. The club is very active in public service and SKYWARN, and we put on a great Field Day every year, highlighted by some very good food and lots of fun. We work pretty hard to get younger people involved, and I think we're pretty successful.

Anyway, not every club is for everybody. I know that I visited many clubs when I lived in California, and I really fit in well with one club in particular, even though most of the members were several times my age back then. Other clubs seemed too formal for me. I'm sure that what I find inviting would repel others. If you have a choice, shop around for a good club.
  16. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like our club, the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council.

The way they treat new members is very impressive. They pretty much roll out the red carpet for them. They love to get new members of any age, race or gender, and are gracious, friendly and polite. The monthly meetings are open to the public. No need to be either a member or a ham to attend the meetings. Board meetings are separate and have different rules, of course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.