ad: UR5CDX-1

Goodbye Cycle 24

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NM7G, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed !... just about every evening between 02-0300Z on 30 meters CW, I've been able to work into Europe with just my Tentec Century-22 (about 15 watts out) & a 40 meter OCF dipole inverted "L" only up about 20 ft.

Just in the last week or so, I've worked LY5A, RK3ER, SN7Q, S53MM, UF1F, ES5RR, MD0CCE & others, all with the above set-up.

They're there,... it just takes some patience/timing & a good bit of finesse. ;)

I've been tempted to fire-up my Swan 500C/410C w/Drake-2B (for about 300 watts), or, my Icom-735 for some more power during the low SFI, but, it's just so damn rewarding to work'em with Low-Power. In the last 6 years, I've worked 154 countries with 54 confirmed on QRZ.com logging only.

Some of those countries were worked with my Heathkit HW-9(WARC) running 4 to 5 watts & same antenna, but, for the last year I've been using triple the power :rolleyes: with the C-22 :D

After over 57 years of CW only, I'm still amazed.

Steve / W5BIB

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Hopefully the ragchew is not when the line is long to have a turn for the rare stuff.

I recall being patient to wait for Heard Island, that was Not the time for a ragchew, LOL.

upload_2018-6-20_9-6-50.png

NZ5F, KC8VWM and KP4SX like this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, I don't bother with rare stuff, unless I happen across something. I spend alot of time talking to various English-speakers from JA to Aussie, to the USA. Sometimes other areas of Oceana, or the EU -- depends on what's in season.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Old Sol seems to have other things on its mind, than bottoming out. A summer fling? It would be nice if it just drove up the flux and spared us the storms.

FAST-GROWING SUNSPOT: Yesterday, sunspot AR2715 did not exist. Today, it sprawls across more than 60,000 km of solar surface with a primary dark core twice as wide as Earth: image. The dimensions of the fast-growing sunspot group make it an easy target for backyard solar telescopes and a potential source of solar flares. Monitoring is encouraged

hmi1898.png

W5BIB and W6FYK like this.
  5. KD2ANN

KD2ANN Ham Member QRZ Page

The best memorable cycle ever was 30 years ago- number 11! I was learning SWLing and 11 meters while studying for my novice ticket in my mid- teens. Great time to be in the radio hobby.

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was already moving the mouse to click "like" when I saw the "ham" in all caps.

Sorry, I just can't click like on a post that contains that. But I like the sentiment in the rest of the post. :D

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Your point is lost by the quantity over quality crowd. Some measure enjoyment simply by the numbers on their LOTW summary they seem compelled to share:cool:

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been active since 1958 and have seen the downsides of more than one cycle. It has been my experience that there is always some DX to be worked. You just have to be band/mode agile to do it. Having good antennas, a good ear, and patience helps. Quite a few of the entities I worked to get within one entity (P 5) of the top of the Honor Roll were worked during the downsides of cycles.

9. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It isn't all bad. This am (1120Z) I worked 3D2AG on 40 cw. No yagi here :) but that's #232 for me (225 cfmed, all paper) since I got back on hf in 2016. Conditions aren't great but that makes it more fun for me to land one.

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked TI3/AB4AW, who was QRP 5W in Costa Rica a couple of days ago. 15m.

Got to get off 40m once in a while.

No, this kind of thing doesn't happen all day long. But I was the only station CQing on 15m. Y'all should try it!