ad: elecraft

Goodbye Cycle 24

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NM7G, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So will FT8 become even more boring near the top of a cycle, when you can tune-up a spoon and pepper Europe?

WD4IGX and W4IOA like this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

There is almost always (absent a big solar storm) DX to be worked on some band at some time and on some mode. True DXers take advantage of many fleeing the DX scene because of poor propagation and they continue to work new ones at least new band entities until the masses come back with a cycle on the upswing. Many of the countries I worked and confirmed for 7BDXCC and for the Honor Roll were worked on the downside or bottom of a sunspot cycle and I have seen a few since being licensed in 1958

3. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh me too. For a solar low and the "bands being down" there's plenty of activity. I bet there would be more if folks would just key up. I've had working some dx. I got New Zealand last week on 20, and that was a treat because I don't have an especially capable station. You're right, that in a handful of years when propagation recovers, it will be harder. I like to think I'm honing my operating skills now so I can have better success when things improve.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

DX is still possible in digital modes like FT-8. Just this morning, 40 meters was really strong into the pacific. I got six Japanese stations and one in Indonesia to complete DXCC. In the last month or so, I've gotten 6 new countries and submitted my DXCC application today. Also completed FT-8 WAS just a few days ago.

5. KE0EYJ

6. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

using FT8 on 6m I have worked several new States and some DX Stations in the last few days.

I have ignored 6m till the other day. :)

upload_2018-6-19_21-41-23.png

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

CU SOON!

8. KE0EYJ

Oh, what did you talk about?

If the potential for a conversation isn't there, it's just beaconware.

But I find beacons are nice to have around. Whatever floats ones boat. That's what HAM is all about!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    NZ5F likes this.
  9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

The same thing I "talked" about with 115 DX Countries on CW. A signal report.

Chasing DX I rarely have a conversation, often the DX is not wanting a long QSO as they have a pileup.

Derek, It would really be helpful to add your current Call Sign to your QRZ Forum user name, maybe you could do that easy in your Signature??

upload_2018-6-20_7-15-13.png

10. KE0EYJ

Maybe I'm different, living in a country with fewer native English speakers to talk to? I have several longer rag chews with DX.

As for the callsign, I'd rather not, thanks.

I'll just have to change it all back again. We're planning a move next summer. Appreciate the thought, tho!