Goodbye Cycle 24

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NM7G, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Those of us thinking the end of solar cycle 24 had come rather quickly weren't wrong. Check out the chart and text here, which confirms that the old cycle is virtually done: http://spaceweather.com/.

We can only hope this means the next cycle will begin sooner, but maybe not. Regardless, with the dismal SFI we have, there still has been interesting DX lately (some to difficult areas for this QTH). In the last 30 hours, VU, 4X, 3W, BA, JT, HC, CE, and a couple dozen European stations have been available on 20 CW. Most are below S5, but not a problem to a diligent ear. GL & good DX.

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Does this look empty?

upload_2018-5-3_15-16-25.png

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cycle 24 has not ended yet... Give it a year or more...

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Bottomed out, ended...same result.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I'm seeing a "sooner than predicted" scenario, but it still looks like we will stay at the bottom for a while. Look at the stretch from 2008 - 2010 to see what I mean.

[​IMG]

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As the saying goes, it needs to "hit rock bottom" before it can get better.

7. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The part I love about these downturns is that so many "give up" chasing DX. The DX is still there - they're just weaker, and without myriads of callers, it's easier to work what DX one can copy.

KD2BRM, ND6M and K6LPM like this.
  8. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked CT, IN, VT, and NV for ATNO's yesterday alone. :)

9. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. There is plenty of DX to be worked right now. I was very active from 1983- 2005. I saw two peaks during this time period. Yes- 10 meters was awesome but the other bands were downright challenging due to QRM and tons of competition. After 10 years of inactivity I got back into radio. DX spotting sites, digi modes, and dxpeditions are now very commonplace. It seems to be easier than ever. I started over again with LOTW and earned WAS, WAC, DXCC, WPX, and VUCC in a very short period of time compared to my last go around. Sometimes I spot them on the computer, work them, log them, and they are confirmed by days end. Sunspots are down but there is still plenty of DX to be worked. Turn off the internet and turn on the radio. They are out there.

Jim

10. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

My first cycle was number 19 (the best ever since radio invented), and have been active since. From what I observe on-air, we can put a fork in 24.