Good microphones for SSB YL voices

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by WA4CZD, Oct 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA4CZD

WA4CZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What mikes do ya'll use for SSB? I've been away from the hobby - hope to get back into it. I used a D-104 (with boatanchor HW-101) but am wondering if it might be too tinny for a modern rig.
    Thanks
    Jilly

N6QIC and MI0YLT like this.
  2. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

yes good subject jilly
    female voices and especially very young female voices are hard to get right over the airwaves

i use a yaesu md100 attached to yaesu 920 when i first started i got very bad modulation reports all the time really bad ones
    my father threw all the settings out the window. He then started of with the rig internal settings then the microphone through the internal speaker got it close then done final checks on air.
    now i always get compliments on my modulation my speech is setup for talking not contesting even though i love ssb contests as it gives a nicer sounding voice.
    one thing i would say is when getting audio reports get them from different people of different ages (we get deafer as we age)using different ages of radios aswell.
    also keep in my mind what one person thinks is good another will probably hate.
    i am not an audio freak keep in mind you will never get ssb to sound like fm although a lot of people try to

KC9ZHV and WA4CZD like this.
  3. K4CSI

K4CSI QRZ Lifetime Member #159 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We have a Heil 781 Boom Mike, and a Pro Elite HEIL headset, and both are FABULOUS for my voice. The headset is better than the boom mike. It really projects a softer voice. Even though mine is loud, the decibels we seem to hit as women, can be heard over the pile-ups with no problem.

Lisa KM4TMO

N6QIC, WA4CZD and MI0YLT like this.
  4. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to first start off by saying my voice is awful and when i say awful it sounds like im one of the guys at times which is very embarrassing.. However I use my pc for my Kenwood ts480/SAT and I link up across the network to my gaming rig where i do most of my live twitch broadcasts.. I use an Lyx Pro smu-1 USB microphone with shock mount and boom arm.. For headphones I use Tascam th-200x studio headphones.. I know people say its cheating to use your pc to talk on HF but.. I love it and the cool thing about it is I can record live video of what's going on and even broadcast it live to youtube like i did during Hurricane Mathew. Anyway I guess If you wanted to learn more about my live broadcast and stuff you can either visit www.lorentedford.com click on live or www.Ltcraft.net then click on live.. Now as far as live amateur radio broadcast i don't do those very often and I have to do this on youtube because of twitch user agreements but if that takes place usually people find it through kc9zhv.com So I hope i have explained in better detail why i use the Lyx pro smu-1 verses the other mic's that can be purchased for Amateur Radio use.. Good luck on searching for microphones.

N6QIC, 2I0GYL, MI0YLT and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried at least 20 different microphones.
    The best one I've found so far is the Astatic RD104E model "Road Devil".
    Here is an on-the-air recording of it, on HF SSB, compared to an H-250 handset, transmitting on a Micom 2R transceiver.
    http://hflink.com/micom/NoClipper_RD104E_H250.mp3

[​IMG]
    The stock microphone has a standard ham and CB-type connector on it. The above image shows how to wire it up for the U229 connector found on mil-spec transceiver gear.

2I0GYL, MI0YLT, WA4CZD and 1 other person like this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a radiosport heatset with the M207 element. It's more optimized for DX and contesting, however.

What does help is that I use a Flex radio which has a built in EQ so it's easy to tailor the audio.

My voice sits around 230-260Hz for normal speech so my EQ pattern levels that off. I did some recordings of transmitted audio (transmitting very low power and then recording it on a receive slice on the flex, and tweaking to get what I want). I use the medium compression setting. I turn the speech processor off for rag chewing mostly.

KC9ARP, 2I0GYL, KC9ZHV and 3 others like this.