GOOD DEAL WITH A BAD TWIST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7CPC, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL has been given a grant for emergency training again.  The last one went exclusivly to the home office neighbors.  This one is for "everybody".  But I digress.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/07/18/102/?nc=1

Paragraph seven indicates the hiring of another full/part time employee to handle the grant.  This would take the lions share of the money and to what end?  The exsisting continuing education staff should be able to handle this without further expence, leaving the grant to accomplish what it is intended to and not the further reduction of white collar unemployment in Newington.

I intend to e-mail Mr. Haynie with the suggestion and I incourage all ARRL members to do the same.

Wasting the grant money in this way is pure nonscense!

73 de Craig...........N7CPC

2. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[YAWN]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

3. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N7CPC @ July 19 2002,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The last one went exclusivly to the home office neighbors.  
     The exsisting continuing education staff should be able to handle this without further expence, leaving the grant to accomplish what it is intended to and not the further reduction of white collar unemployment in Newington.
    Wasting the grant money in this way is pure nonscense![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Craig,
    Spelling is important when you are trying to get your point across.

4. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this one for everyone or just ARRL members, like they limited the last one?!

5. N7CPC

GYO........I don't think the online classes are for members only. Also, I don't think the grant funds coa be used for a spacific group.

GOF.........PPPPPFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT [​IMG]

6. KB1GYQ

From the 7/8/2 'news' post to the arrl site...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A brief, review version of the Level I ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Communications course (EC-001) will be offered in classroom format at the ARRL New England Division Convention ... Registration is $45 for ARRL members, $75 for non-members, and free for Connecticut ARRL members taking advantage of United Technologies grant funds[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I will believe that they would let non-members take advantage of outside money when I see it...!

7. N7CPC

Mr. Haynie has informred me I am putting the &quot;cart before the horse&quot; in that all details are not yet known.  I call it preemptive paranoia.  Also the terms and conditions of the grant require a seperate administrator.  Well, lets do the math.  The anticipated 5,200 trainees would be alloud $35 each for course costs.  Classes for members are $45 each ( three total ).  This is not including deducted wages for the administrator.  If anything meaningful can be had through this &quot;Homeland Security&quot; training for less than $35, what are we now getting at full price?

I'm not saying we are currently being ripped off, I'm saying $181,900 ain't going to do what now requires $702,000.

I must admit I have as yet not taken the courses.  I have, however, spoken with some who have.  The input I have is that the three courses now offered are well worth the money and overflowing with information.  Sounds like a good value.  That having been said, $120 reduced to the &quot;readers digest ©&quot; version at less than $35 &quot;should&quot; be somewhat less a value.  Content/quality will no dought suffer.

Before the &quot;Leage or death&quot; crowd starts throwing fire, understand I make these asumptions in the belief the league is not making a profit on courses now available.  I am implying no conspiricy, real or imagined.  And yes I am a member.  As a member I feel I have the right to question the wisdom of any and all actions taken or proposed by the ARRL.

73 de Craig........N7CPC

8. KB1GYQ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke5wj @ July 20 2002,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ July 20 2002,09:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From the 7/8/2 'news' post to the arrl site...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A brief, review version of the Level I ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Communications course (EC-001) will be offered in classroom format at the ARRL New England Division Convention ... Registration is $45 for ARRL members, $75 for non-members, and free for Connecticut ARRL members taking advantage of United Technologies grant funds[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I will believe that they would let non-members take advantage of outside money when I see it...![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Since a portion of our dues, as well as other resources paid for by members, supports all of the ARRL including C&amp;CE, why should we pay and others get the benefits for free? And then they complain about the ARRL?

You want someone to give money, but don't want them to have a say in how or on whom it gets spent? If you want everyone to benefit, why don't you donate $$$ and specify in your grant that it be appied to ARRL members and non-members alike?

Give me a break![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You must be a member.  [​IMG]

Lets see... according to their website right now, membership is $39 a year, half of which is for QST. That means that non-members are hit for $10.50 over the price of a years membership without QST, for just one course.

Could I interest you in AMWAY? It's a great deal compared to the ARRL. (I don't deal that myself, but I could refer you... [​IMG] [​IMG] )

9. KB1GYQ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke5wj @ July 20 2002,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you think ARRL charges too much to non-members, take a look at the professional societies, such as SPE, AICHE, IEEE, AAPG, SEG, ASCE, etc. They all charge a premium to non-members for everything. Members usually get a 20-30% discount on books, etc., but for courses and meetings non-members often pay double.

Anyway, try again, I really didn't get your point about (SC)AMWAY.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that is my point.... And I know of the other &quot;professional&quot; societies as well...

The point of scamway, is that they present themselves as the &quot;america way&quot; (the original name if I remember ... I had researched them awhile back to try to convince someone to get out of it), the &quot;opportunity of a lifetime&quot;.... and it's really just a pipe dream. Just as the ARRL claims to represent ALL american amateur radio operators.... Well &quot;opportunity&quot; is a town located at about 47.64945 N, 117.24045 W. (at least it was in 1990)
    [​IMG]

10. KE7VE

KE7VE Banned QRZ Page

“Just as the ARRL claims to represent ALL american amateur radio operators.... “
    KB1GYQ

“ARRL represents its membership. Period” ke5wj ……..You may say that but that is not what the ARRL says, please straighten them out.

“It &quot;advertises&quot; as being the national amateur radio organization and lobbies before Congress, etc. That is true.” ke5wj……….does advertises in this context mean lies? Is this some kind of Bill Clinton statement I need to parse. ARRL says in its publications that it represents ALL radio amateurs…..are you saying it means something else? They don’t represent me and I am trying to figure out how they get away claiming to.

Gentleman, please do not confuse the ARRL with a professional organization. AAPG, SPE, SPWLA, SEG, SEPM etc. have never pushed for lower standards in their members thinking that power rested in controlling a mob of idiots, rather than representing the most knowledgeable people in a particular technical area. These organizations are small, but still influential, because of their standards. They are not pushing for numbers like ARRL. I guess they really care about their members and don’t want them degraded.

I guess no other organization has the hubris to claim it represents ALL amateur radio operators, so we won't see them standing up, which is actually a good thing.

73, Marty K7RKR SPWLA #7131

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.