"Going up the Country" - new QTH coming!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tractor is in my plans for summer - lots of needs already. What do you have and for what do you use it? Planning "reconditioned factory certified used" sort of thing.... John Deere, Kubota

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Deere, Kubota? Come on Dave! Nothing less than a CAT will do! :D

[​IMG]

W7UUU and N0TZU like this.
  3. W7UUU

Hahahahahaha!!!! :D:D:D [breathes] Hahahahahaha!!!! :D:D:D

But that's only a D10... can I get a D12 please? :rolleyes::eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W7ROX

W7ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

We did the new Kubota, 0 percent interest. Have to get insurance on it and it paid off already to have insurance! There is a learning curve to tractors :) But it's a great tractor. Use it for tilling my garden, taking bales of sileage to the cows, scraping snow off the drive, drilling post holes, pulling logs out forest, moving gravel, chipping branches, brush hogging blackberries, spraying weeds, spreading fertilizer....different attachments do different functions.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

I have much to learn - may I PM you from time to time? :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As ROX says, compact tractors are exceedingly useful.

When we moved "up the country" 15 years ago we bought a 30 HP 4x4 Kubota and it's still going strong. We used used it along with the backhoe and post hole attachments to put in all the landscaping, irrigation and fencing which essentially "paid" for it. Then the horse chores, garden tilling, snow removal, field mowing, weed spraying, etc. Occasionally I use it as a tug for maneuvering a boat trailer in tight quarters. Around here Kubota seems to be the most popular of the compact tractor brands for small acreages.

We did sell the backhoe attachment some years ago, since with the landscaping done it had very little use.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    WA7PRC likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually one of our neighbors works with heavy equipment. A couple times a decade we get a 3 foot snowfall and it's really nice to have him clear the road with a big CAT!

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. W7ROX

W7ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, we moved to the country 5 years ago, and went full farmer. I've always been in the city up til then, and I love the country. My tractor is not that compact, it's an L3800. It's great for all those chores, but for moving the big round sileage bales, I wish we had gone up one size.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yous guys' tractor talk reminded me....

Here in suburbia, without me even asking him, a neighbor sometimes mows my yard (Summer) and plows my driveway (Winter) with his new yard tractor. The thing is, he has almost NO yard, he just likes to use it. I'm nice to him. :D

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W9RLG

W9RLG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 1972 John Deere 4020, 6 cyl. diesel. front bucket is 7 foot and rear blade is 8 ft. Oh it is a farm tractor, bought new by my Dad in 1972 for $8500. Pulls a 5 bottom plow, 14 ft disc, has post digger attachment, and bale spear. Temp control cab for winter and summer plus AM/FM radio in cab. Little big for what you want Dave, but they are more expensive than the little one now days.

Bob

KA4DPO, WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.