ad: chuckmartin

Glenn Baxter, K1MAN Fined $21,000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W9IND

W9IND Ham Member QRZ Page

In answer to your questions ... yes, I've personally heard his broadcasts, and yes, I've personally been offended by him.

My opposition to his continued broadcasts is simple: Were we all to start doing as he does (did?), we'd soon see the day when we wouldn't even recognize our amateur bands. Shortwave interference is bad enough; imagine how ridiculous it would be to try to conduct a QSO in between dozens of stations pretending to be broadcasters.

(Incidentally, I don't see any legitimate comparison between K1MAN, whose broadcasts basically interest nobody but himself, and W1AW, which transmits code practice, bulletins and other far more worthwhile material.)

As for being personally offended by him, it happened about a dozen years ago during a Caribbean hurricane. Back then, anytime an international disaster would occur, Baxter would get on a 20-meter frequency and hold it for hours, pretending to be running an international emergency net providing disaster relief (as if he ever actually accomplished anything besides wasting kiloHertz and stroking his own ego).

I had a source willing to provide supplies for the stricken area and, against my better judgment, tried checking into his little net in hopes of doing something meaningful for the diaster victims. Instead of hearing me out, Baxter immediately insulted me, dismissed my offer and cut off further conversation, preferring to resume his on-air preening.

The disparaging comments were no big deal -- sheesh, I've heard plenty better from plenty smarter sources -- but what really bothered me was the fact that dozens of other hams were clustered on the frequency, having actually bought into Baxter's Wizard of Oz-like smoke and mirrors.

Of course, the first and best step toward really helping the victims was to have gotten off K1MAN's frequency, leaving Baxter to babble to himself ... or, as they say in the land of Oz, "Pay no attention to that man."

Hope that answers your questions.

Brian, W9IND

2. w4nti

w4nti Guest

But how else are the ARRL haters to make their point these days? Now that the CW good/bad debate is FINALLY coming to an end, they have to have something to complain about. What better than the ARRL?

Of course W1AW is the equivilant of K1MAN. But then I have a question...how is that possible since MAN showed up in the 1980s and that nasty ARRL was around.....way back in 1907. Please all you ARRL haters help me out here.

Dan/W4NTI

3. K1KW

K1KW QRZ Lifetime Member #649 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you Riley and the other folks at the FCC. This is good news and another step towards eliminating this cretin from our service.

Now let's step up the pace and eliminate him from the amateur ranks in this decade before he dies of old age or dementia, which ever comes first.

[​IMG]

4. w4nti

w4nti Guest

I told GLenn that I had done more Emergency Communications by accident than he had done on purpose, he got ill about that...why ? Because he knew it was true.

His "claim to fame" is his activity during the Mexican City Earth Quake. Where as I remember he was told to bug off.

Don't forget his support of the Bougenville forces that are indicated as terrorists. And his great buddy Mr. Voron, or is that Moron over in Somalia. Perhaps someone needs to check out Glenda for some international crimes.

Dan/W4NTI

5. KC2PBJ

KC2PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad to say, but this guy knows how to play the system and will be back on the air, with or without benefit of license, before leaves fall from the trees.  Seizing equipment and epoxying his mouth shut might help.  Perhaps the Islamic laws can be instituted and the body source of sin cut off.  (Hey, it works with rapists!).  Heard this guy back when I was first an SWL and was offended then.  If he beats this one back and is allowed to renew, how many more years will it take?

6. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anyone has compared the age of K1MAN versus the ARRL. I simply think neither of them belong on the air broadcasting to simply to attract a paid membership. Both K1MAN and W1AW try to identify themselves as some kind of "Official" ham radio organization simply to attract untold amounts of money (probably a rather small amount in K1MAN's case). The ARRL takes it a step further by trying to fuel paranoia with offshoots like "ARES" to get some of the right wing conspiracy folks and cop wanna-be's with amber lights on their cars.

I'll tune down the dial when I hear either, but I just feel sorry for the people that don't know any better and waste their money every year instead of joining a local club and actually helping outt ham radio in your area.

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You apparently haven't been around too long.

Let's see, there was Jack Gerritsen, ex-KG6IRO, who almost cost a policeman his life and someone in peril on the Pacific, thanks to his interference.

And, the now ex-ham in a Texas penitentiary that murdered someone. Not worth Googling to find his former call.

And, if that's not enough, ex-K9QVL, ex-FBI supervisory agent and super-spy, Robert P. Hanssen whose spy work for Russia probably cost a life or two.

Then, last-but-not least, Kevin Mitnick, still N6NHG, who was a bit of a super-hacker, but now he's a security consultant after doing his time......

Yes, Baxter's a bit loud. And, yes, he's had me on his Nazi/Nurd list, but he's not quite in the same league as most of the above. Your batting average here is about like your Winlink2K/Pactor III commentary.

Lee
    W6EM

9. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin Mitnick simply downloaded some beta versions of unreleased Sun software from an internal server his friend had access to because of his job. Hardly a super-hacker.

Let's not forget he was held without bail for several years without being charged while the feds figured out how to charge him.

And let's also not forget that none of that is grounds for losing your ham license. There weren't thousands of "FREE KEVIN" bumper stickers stuck everywhere because of Kevin's 31337 hax0ring skills, they were there because his government wasn't complying with it's own laws.

10. K1KW

K1KW QRZ Lifetime Member #649 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What I find amazing is that folks even try to make a comparison between k1man and the ARRL.  The whole k1man operation is ONE person, glen baxter, that's it.  No one else.  He spends his time making it look MUCH larger than life.  He has no employees, not even a lawyer. Check out his website.  My cat could do a better job.

He is not the millionaire he has fooled folks into believing he is.  In fact, when he was fired from his last job for cause, (threatening people), he requested unemployment compensation and was denied.  He later sued, acting as his own lawyer as usual, and lost, as usual. Recent information is that he is trying to earn a living as a smoke alarm salesman. Does this sound like a guy who has the resources to support an organization on par with the ARRL?    Check out k1man himself and his presentation at a recent major East Coast hamfest to see the extent of his organization:

http://host.picturewizard.com/2005-7/357648/glenn_baxter.gif

This guy is a clown much like Gerritson, a guy with a transmitter and a big mouth, who just wants to bully other radio amateurs.

Good riddance!!!

11. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT was HIM?  I've seen guys in all-white rubber-walled rooms with straight jackets that looked more in touch with reality!

And the website? i've visited it once or twice. I've seen 10 year olds on "geocities" put together more professional looking websites.

NOW, who in their right mind would send this guy a check for 45 bucks to have him send a "newsletter" full of his self-promoting ramblings?

I guess the same people who keep Jimmy Swaggert up down here in Baton Rouge.

12. KB7DA

KB7DA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::EDIT::
    I talked to N6AYJ for a while and he dont seem to be a bad person he is a nice guy just he is funny. I should not take what hearsay. I appologize about the comment about N6AYJ. He is a good operator. I know this now talking to him.

::EDIT::

Ok K1MAN is gone. Well lets see if anyone is related to the President, ask him to send a directive to the FCC to get rid of the rest of the LIDS on the bands. (Quoting someone at ARRL) "Unless you are a close reletive like a brother to the President to have him send a directive to the FCC to do what you need the FCC to do it will take forever" like the Baxter situation. How long did it take to get KG6IRO off the air? Hmm does the FCC even care about us? It seems not anymore. I wish i had billions of dollars, I would eliminate BPL and while I am at it I would make them remove all the LIDS off the air.

AD7BK

(Yes more money you have the more you can get done..)
    [​IMG]

13. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

OK GLENN WAS A BAD BOY.BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER HAMS  QRMING HIM WHEN HE WAS ON THE AIR THINK THAT IS WRONG TOO  [​IMG]
    K1LWI
    WENDELL 73

14. KB7DA

KB7DA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True 2 wrongs dont make a right.

I don't understand why he did what he did. I guess he like KG6IRO are old men with nothing else better to do than harass us all.

Gee this scares me.. What happens when the last bit of protection we have is gone? [​IMG]

15. G8RJQ

G8RJQ Guest

Vengence is sweet isnt it, but sometimes leaves a bitter taste that repeats on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.