Getting started with IC-7300, WSJT-X and the Mac?

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by FRANKZ, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. FRANKZ

FRANKZ QRZ Member

After years as an on and off SWL, Saturday I passed my Technician exam, and I plan to take the General in three weeks. My primary interests are DX and digital modes on HF. Other interests include QRP, kits/homebrew, learning Morse code, and VHF primarily for emergency preparedness.

For the past six months I've been listening with an SDRplay RSP2, using software under macOS High Sierra as well as with Windows 10 and Linux in virtual boxes, all on my 2015 MacBook Pro. I've gotten WSJT-X running (as a listener) in both macOS and Windows, successfully decoding FT8 and WSPR.

Yesterday I bought an Icom IC-7300 which I expect will be my main transceiver for some time to come. In addition, I picked up a RigExpert antenna analyzer. So now I have a few things on my to-do list in the days ahead: learn the 7300, figure out how to interface it to the Mac, get my antennas tweaked for transmitting (and/or build new ones), and study for the General test. As a starting point, I thought I'd see (once my license appears in the FCC database) if I can get FT8 and WSPR operating on 10 meters, since that is the only HF band I can use for digital as a Technician. Then after I pass the General I'd foresee moving primarily to 40 and 20 meters.

Here are some things I'm wondering about at this point:

-- Interfacing the Mac and 7300 seems to be a little complicated, with possibly different ways of doing it, and a lot of detail to work out. Is there an easy way to get this going?

-- Are there other Mac programs for hams I should get and use? I see a fair number of references to MacLoggerDX -- is that a widely popular program?

-- Are there any Windows programs lacking macOS versions that I should think about running in a virtual box?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. K8AJS

K8AJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't help you with the 7300, but there are no doubt a number of people here that can.

MacLoggerDX is a popular program, but it's pretty expensive. I've been using RumLogNG for a while, it is a good program for DX with support for eQSL and LotW. It's the right price (free) and has very good support from its author, DL2RUM.

http://www.dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMLog.html

I haven't completely gotten away from Windows; I'm still using N1MM Logger+ in Windows 10 running in Parallels on my Mac Pro for contesting. One of these days I hope to find a good Mac contest logger; there are some out there and I haven't tried them all yet. Actually, RumLogNG has a pretty good contest module in the package but I'm not fluent enough in it yet to say I really like it. I keep lookin' and tryin'.

Hope this helps.

John Bastin K8AJS
    jbastin1@me.com

3. FRANKZ

FRANKZ QRZ Member

Thanks very much for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

4. FRANKZ

FRANKZ QRZ Member

An update: After a couple of evenings I've been able to get WSJT-X and MacLoggerDX installed, and each controlling the 7300. Bands are fairly quiet at the moment, but I've been able to decode some FT8 on 80 meters in listening mode. Hopefully my call sign will be turning up in the FCC database soon, after which I'll see if I can get WSPR going on 10 meters (FT8 too, if anyone is out there). Also will download RumLog to check out its features.