Getting started in Digital modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WD0BCT, Nov 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Playing with Fldigi, signal link, MacPro with BootCamp, with my FT-891 has been interesting.
    I do not find the Digital HF is any more productive than good old fashion CW.
    When bands are dead they are dead. Propagation? Inactive hams? Whatever the blame the result is the same.
    My perusal of FT-8 operating procedure does not incite any interest in going there at the moment.
    Perhaps JS8Call but I have enough to play with at the moment.

2. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8Call can automatically detect signals that I cannot see nor hear.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cecil,
    I've experienced this somewhat in PSK31 also. Sometimes signals that look rather strong on the waterfall do not copy while some that look weak do copy. Weird.
    I've come upon the usual PSK31 watering hole with absolutely no waterfall activity, but after calling CQ a couple of times I get a response. Then again I've seen lots of waterfall activity but none copy.
    Some of this is due to my being new to digital HF. Leaving the AGC engaged can put a damper on copy.

4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The big difference between PSK31 and JS8 is that PSK31 can operate down to about -7dB SNR while JS8 can operate down to about -24dB SNR. That's about a 50/1 advantage for JS8 over PSK31 and about a 200/1 advantage over CW. JS8 also has some other nifty features that PSK31 doesn't have. JS8 is ideally suited for today's poor band conditions with poor antennas and low power. I can often work all over the world with 100 watts to a 35 foot high dipole on 20m during the day and sometimes on a ZS6BKW at night.