ad: Schulman-1

Getting Started In Amateur Radio Field Communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Oct 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello operators
    Today we are talking about amateur radio field communications.
    I'm constantly receiving excellent questions about getting a start in Amateur Radio field communications. Although I'm happy to keep answering those questions, I don't always have the time to give personalised answers. So, I decided to put out this video, giving newcomers a few ideas which might help them get their start in amateur field communications.
    We all need to remember there are many kinds of portable operations. One might hike in, drive In, operate from a camper, out of the top box of a moyorcycle, or even get dropped off by helicopter in a remote location. Whichever way you'd like to operate, these tips will definitely help you get started in ham radio in the field.

The video covers, what gear to take/don't take, how to choose a location, portable power options, and questions you should try to answer, to help you plan your gear.

There are no episode notes this time, but there is useful information in the video description.

Julian oh8stn

Attached Files:

AG4YL, K7NSW, KQ6XA and 4 others like this.
  2. KK6PKN

KK6PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KK6PKN

It is true. Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries are nearly 1/4 the weight of an equivalent Sealed Lead Acid AGM battery. It is also 4 times the $ cost. Always a flip side to the coin.

I like both types. Another good video for field radio operation tips.

Thank you, sir.

Jesse Castillo
    KK6PKN

OH8STN likes this.
  4. OH8STN

Hi Jesse
    Thanks for the feedback and the kindness. I was wondering if they really are four times the price. Considering the lithium iron phosphate batteries can get ~2k Cycles out of them, it could be more accurate to say AGM & SLAB batteries are cheaper at the cash register. The flup side being LiFePO4 are a better value in total cost of ownership, over their useable lifetime.
    I'm also no Bioenno fanboy, but their protected packs are very reasonably priced, if I consider I don't have to do any soldering.
    I do hope the prices come down though.
    Julian oh8stn

W6NYA likes this.
  5. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian

I operate my KX3/PX3 off a 5000mah LiPo battery for digital I use a Samsung Tablet or Alienware MX500
    Antenna LNR Trail and if nned Steppir Crank IR.

PS I have been using LiPo for well over a decade and am extremely familiar with properly operating them and there risks. They are also run in my racing vehicles.

I like your power distribution block with volt or amp built in did you make this?

Thanks
    Ian
    KM4CQG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. OH8STN

That's an excellent setup Ian!
    The pp distribution center comes from k9jeb. I'm currently waiting on a 3D printer so I can start to encapsulate it into an enclosure. This would allow the powerpoles to exit off of the sides for pirtable work, taking the strain off of the solder joints and connectors. He sells the kits, and the only complaint I've had in the past was the enclosure.

Julian oh8stn

7. VK5FUSE

VK5FUSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Information relevant to off grid communications & Amateur Field Communications.
    Thank you.:)73

OH8STN likes this.
  8. KK6PKN

I think I should've wrote--nearly 4 times the $ cost. I did think of that but I already hit the Post Reply button. A U1 size SLA 12V 10Ah battery is $25 to $34 (+ shipping) on eBay/Amazon.

Jesse C.
    KK6PKN

OH8STN likes this.
  9. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating times clearly vary with many variables > temperature, terminal voltage at battery, Ah ratings, load, etc. Many rigs begin to exhibit issues ie: VCO unlock, distorted TX audio, CPU reboot/fail, ALC / PA output, etc. in field operations using off shelf labeled 12 volt packs. I have found building packs with a higher terminal voltage around 15 volt (headroom) allows for extended operation time. Best to check you rig on the bench (variable power supply) to see what a real world operating conditions exist with your set-up. Boost-buck converters could help and may be just something else to haul around.

Shoot and scoot, RTO
    CAM WA6VVC

OH8STN likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Although the title of Julian's latest superb video is targeted at noob portable ops, it also covers portable operating strategy.
    One excellent section of the video is on "Questions to ask yourself".
    1. What kind of operating?
    2. How long will I operate?
    3. Operating QRP or QRO?
    4. How will I get there?
    5. Do I need to recharge in the field?

That is the kind of critical thinking process that even the most experienced operators need when preparing for portable HF (or VHF/UHF) activity.
    Top notch presentation and jam-packed video content.

AK5B, KG5THG, VK5FUSE and 2 others like this.
  12. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right, but until you go out on the field, you usually do not know how to answer these questions. Vicious circle.

13. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

nice video my friend 73

OH8STN likes this.
  14. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the Video... I am setting comms for overlanding with my Jeep and Teapdrop trailer. Recently purchase the antenna system Chameleon MPAS, this system works great with the end fed slope config.

I am now working on Solar and battery solution (weight of battery not a big issue) for the Teardrop trailer to support Comms, LED lights, fan, and frig..... The HF rig will be a Flex 1500 with a low power laptop.

Look forward to more videos...

OH8STN likes this.
  15. OH8STN

You're Killin' me!
    Overlanding with a Jeep and a teardrop trailer, there are very few "better" dreams I could imagine. Many of us would enjoy seeing/reading about your journey.
    Actually this is the direction the channel is heading. Extended field comms from a hot tent and skipulk, rather than a Jeep and Teardrop, but I'm pretty sure we'll both be having a blast. I don't care why we go, or how we "get there", it's being "out there" which is where the amazing stories begin.
    Thanks for the kindness, and for telling us about your project.
    Julian oh8stn

AK5B and VK5FUSE like this.