Get Audio from a Bluetooth Headset

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by M0LXQ, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M0LXQ

M0LXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am working on a handsfree kit for a handheld radio at the moment and ideally want to use a standard Bluetooth headset for the microphone. The reason I want to use this headset is that it has very good noise cancelling and when used with a mobile phone, most people cannot tell I am even driving.

But how can I get the audio from this? There are plenty of cheap Bluetooth receivers that I have found, such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Wi...dio-Music-Receiver-Adapter-Cable/264359130849 but this is designed to pair to a device like a phone or tablet which can select the Bluetooth receiver. If I put both the headset and the receiver into pairing mode, they are not going to pair.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

73 de M0LXQ.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a personal observation.

Over the last 7 year or so, I have tried every known wireless interface you can imagine, and a few you can't. The use of IR would seem like a logical course, but alas, modern vehicles use an IF-filtered glass which causes major issues. And too, think about the interference from the dash display??

BlueTooth, seems like a logical choice. It is not! Even the latest version has issues with turn-a-bout (PTT up and/or PTT down).

Radio Shack tried to introduce an alternative, which used the shared band around 2.3 GHz. It did work, but the FCC decided it was an unlicensed device, and there you are!

The only viable alternative is VOX, with an appropriate interface (which no one really has!). But of course, if you're a loud driver, everyone on the muring net will hear you shout profanities.

My advice? Forgetaboutit!

WA8FOZ likes this.
  3. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

There is BlueTooth and then there is BlueTooth.

Different auto (not limited to autos) manufacturers implement BT in different ways. I have BTin my Lexus, but my Motorola XPR5550 cannot connect to it. My cell phone does very nicely. However, a friend of mine (non-ham of course) has a Tesla and YES, everything can connect to his BT.

I'm thinking that in the next car I get, there will be no OEM radio, backup camera, or BT. All of those features can be added easily per aftermarket and then I will get a car I want with the electronics I want. I don't care if I save money or not. I just want things to work the way I want. No, no Tesla for me.

4. M0LXQ

M0LXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your responses guys, most appreciated.

It's very frustrating. I found another thread with YouTube video that shows the Jabra A210 Bluetooth receiver would be the answer to my problem. It was designed for facilitating the use of a generic Bluetooth headset with a non-Bluetooth phone that has a 2.5mm handsfree kit jack. The problem is that it was made around 2004/2005, is no longer in production, and no one else seems to have copied them.

Yeah, this isn't an option for me either :)

Ah, the joy of having a prescribed standard...

I've decided to try one of these for now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123808059491. I have one of the radios that it'll work with, so that is a start. I also have the pinout for the radio, so I'm wondering if I might be able to acquire the audio from the pins and build an interface to use with other radios.

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well.... Try anything you want. If you do find something that works, let us all know. But, excuse me if I don't hold my breath!