ad: Schulman-1

Geochron Digital 4k UHD review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if you are making the incorrect assumption that "the rest of us" means everyone other than me wants to buy such a product.

Perhaps ask why I, as a pilot that needs absolute reliability and comfort, can buy the exact-same headset for £140 less than it is marketed by ham outlets? I make no comment on the Geoclock purveyors and related ilk in the OP, but as a general rule, we are all taken to be as dumb as hell in the radio community.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    WB5GSA and K2NCC like this.
  2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For the life of me I cannot understand this. This is a hobby. Folks enjoy various aspects of it, from spending thousands of dollars on "unnecessary" beams and towers to a few dollars on a hand-held whip. No one is making anyone do or buy anything they don't want.

This current Geoclock is a fraction of the price of the original wall clock. One can run it on any size monitor they want, spending as much or as little as they want on that monitor.

Why did I get the clock? Because I can. Why folks get their panties in a wad over that is beyond me. It's just a hobby, for Christ's sake. If the shareware version floats your boat, get that for free!

.................Bob

K3NE, W6KKO, G8KNC and 4 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

For a few hundred dollars, we have something I enjoy looking at compared with a big,black screen hanging on the wall. I don't think someone who hangs a Picasso or Monet worth millions in a similar location as wasting money or being "dumb as hell".
    I'm at a loss trying to find your message here. It's the fundamental goal of advertising to elicit interest in and motivate the purchase of products. People understand that. Also, people generally don't buy something unless they want or need it nor do most people buy something they can get for $200 USD less elsewhere. We generally aren't that dumb.

If you find people surrounding you are, you might want to examine the choice of people with whom you could associate.

KK8MM likes this.
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to clarify, Geochron is the mechanical moving map clock, and now the new computer box version which displays on a high rez monitor. Geoclock is a software program which displays moving day / night representation. Sort of a poor-mans Geochron, so to speak.
    Both have been around for decades.

5. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the device, but if one has an old computer/monitor, wouldn't it be cheaper to download the shareware Geochron software and use the old dedicated computer for the Geochron program. Thoughts?

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure it would be cheaper, but it's the same as saying "won't a Pinto get you where you are going just a good as a Cadillac?" Sure.

The Geochron has a VERY nice 4K display that is customizable in many different fashions with info you can't get with the shareware software (at least what I have seen). Of course you have to have a 4K monitor, but I got a nice LG 43 inch 4K for $299 from Best Buy. If all you want is the terminator display, well I have that on many different programs that already run in my shack. But they are not NEAR as impressive as the Geochron display.

YMMV.

................Bob

7. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

It is called ham shack bling...and I want one!!!

K3NE, W4PG and WC5P like this.
  8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

So then it's pretty much a Rasberry Pi kind of box with a screensaver... Okie Dokie!

Timex and Casio make cheap watches, that are very accurate, even synced to WWV. But there is and always will be a market for Rolexes. Same for Geoclock. And Geochron.

It still seems a bit pricey for a Rasberry Pi more or less box and a Screensaver... It's all up to the Scratch you got, Brother, and it's all Good!

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

MW1CFN likes this.
  9. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot to add: If you have an Android Phone, you might like the app called "Daylight World Map" It's Free at the Google Play Store. You can even add it as a widget.

73 DE W8LV BILL

10. K6HR

K6HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one too. I have it connected to an LG 32" 4K monitor and it looks fantastic! The only improvement I can think of would be a real time satellite tracking overlay.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bot one....waiting on delivery:)

12. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Always one in the bunch. Congrats.

13. KK2A

KK2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham shack Bling, yeh mine was delivered yesterday. Always wanted a geochron since they first came out. This little gem fits the bill at a much smaller price than the original one. Now I need to build the monitor into the desk top like I saw was done with the original wall mount clock with a piece of glass over the face to act as a work top.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it:)

Backlogged on 'shack things to do...' --up in Sept. Rapid delivery BTW.

15. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Either tell us why you think it's a good review, or get bent.