ad: SteppIR-1

Genesis G59

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N4BBQ, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. N4BBQ

N4BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone within ragchew distance of me on 160/80/40 meters have one of these build up? I'd love to hear one on the air and hear your opinion of its high & low points.

N4BBQ (Georgia)
  2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

What be a Genesis G59 ? A home build antenna or a home build tranceiver.
  3. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a machine for tera farming strange new worlds....
  4. N4BBQ

Its a kit 160m-6m SRD transceiver. Check it out.
  5. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey there BBQ (and neighbor!),

Late last year I was doing a bunch of research on SDR units. TX and RX-only ones. Honestly, I don't remember what it was that knocked the Genesis G59 out of my list, but something did. I joined Yahoo groups for about 10 or so different SDRs. Not sure if you already have a stand-alone transceiver, but I ended up going with the PM-SDR out of Italy. It is an RX-only box, but with the switchboard option I can link it/pass through the TX of my IC-7000 through this unit. Both of them work hand-in-hand with each other and I absolutely love it!

I purchased my PM-SDR with the LCD screen, black case, and the switchboard option. You need a decent soundcard -- I picked up a TC-Electronic Desktop Konnekt-6 (firewire).

Anyway -- I'm quite pleased with my SDR box. Great to get my feet wet in the world of SDR. However, what I'm finding -- even after eyeballing the Flex 5000 series -- is that I *REALLY* love using it as its own little entity. Synching it with the IC-7000 is great when working DX or finding weak signals, I also like "un-linking" it from the IC-7000 and having it as a dedicated RX.

As far as taking a step into SDR, I can't recommend enough checking out Yahoo groups for whichever ones you're considering.

Just my thoughts.
    --Alex / KA4AAA
  6. KB0ASQ

KB0ASQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am in the process of building a G59, probably will be another month before I get it on the air.

I also just bought a LD-1B. It is a receive only for now until he gets the transmitter finished. It is well constructed, a was pretty much plug and play. I am just having problems with the E-MU 0202 sound card I purchased to work with the units.
  7. N4BBQ

Hi to you too neighbor!

I have signed up for the G59 Yahoo! group and it is VERY busy. Thanks for your wisdom on this.

I also dug up this youtube video
  8. N4BBQ

Very good. Good luck and maybe we can make a schedule once you're up and running. My friend Byron (WA4GEG) runs an SDR transceiver which is based on the Pic-A-Star group. Its a magnificent radio.
  9. W3DRK

W3DRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I also built a G59 MK3....I received the kit on March 31 and took about 5 evenings and a full weekend to assemble....roughly 40 hours.

I've been using it exclusively for WSPR with great success but I would be happy to attempt a SSB QSO sometime.

I did try SSB using a USB microphone and TXing into a dummy load while listening on a separate radio. It didn't sound half bad, but I'd like to interface one of my MC-60 desk mics to the G59 MIC preamp and see how that works out.

My email address on is current, feel free to drop me an email and we can schedule a QSO.

BTW, I've attached a picture of my assembled G59 if anyone is curious.

Attached Files:

10. GM3PQU

GM3PQU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also building a G59 and have the linear kit as well . Nice picture, I have printed it off and will compare to see any mistakes I have made hi. I am about to start the tx section.
    73 de Sandy GM3PQU
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.