Generator Baffle Box project complete

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WQ6N, Jan 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BLUF - Project was to reduce the viability and noise of a Honda EU-2200i generator (two of them) and allow 4KW service.

Construction:
    Used 3/4 plywood, 90 angle brackets, 120vac 310cfm fans, heavy duty dryer vent, 10mm sound absorption mat. Designed to be take apart and stored flat as possible (well kinda/sorta).
    Twins-sm.jpg
    BB3-sm.jpg
    There are two straps that hold down the generator that uses rings on the bottom of the baffle box.
    BB1-sm.jpg
    BB2-sm.jpg
    All sides have the 10mm SoomJ sound absorbing mat. Top and Front is open mat without the alum layer. Each surface was coated with contact cement prior to peeling and sticking the mat as an extra bonding agent. This stuff is not cheap by any means and the most expensive item for the project (excluding the generators).
    SOOMJ Mat-sm.jpg
    BB4-sm.jpg
    Doubled up the fans to increase the air flow. The original only had one fan and on a hot day it did get warm inside while in operation. Ordered two cheap temp gauges with sensors from ebay to keep an eye on the temp. Testing showed very positive results for both sound and temp. Using my cell phone soundmeter app it was very low level even on concrete. On dirt or sand should decrease the level even more. My first attempt at camouflage paint (digital desert) theme.

Front upper hole is for external marine fuel tank line. Lower door is for external power and phasing connection and generator front panel controls.

There are no wheels installed. Just using a couple of Harbor Freight furniture dollies. Besides wheels don't work all that great in the sand.

To do: Need to go by an automotive store and pick up silicon door edge protector to go around the internal dryer vent edge. Just in case. With the two straps there is no movement.

Project End: I am happy with the results. Waiting for that first camping trip to put them too work. I am sure someone can improve on the design. With two boxes, everything has to be clearly marked so when I take them apart, I can put them back together without mixing the pieces up. Takes about 90min to rebuild both boxes.

Hope you find this project information of use. 73, JohnF

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice. This should be inspiration for other!

-What is the power source for the muffin fans?

3. W6TUX

W6TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nicely done John - two thumbs up!

4. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting project.

A couple of comments:
    Regarding the air flow, do you have a clear path from the outside air to the input of the air filter and
    another direct path from the exhaust to the outside? The engine will not work well without both of those.

I've seen more than a few bad electronics air-flow designs involving fans and heat sinks where the fan is barely
    doing more than pressurizing the inside of a box. Air flow should be a circuit (think circle) where the input and output
    holes are the same size and there is good air flow across the parts that need cooling.

Be very aware of fire safety. InFernal combustion engines get very hot in places and they have gasoline
    storage nearby. Hot gas vapors inside of a closed box can go boom fairly easily. You may want to consider using an
    external fuel tank.

I'd recommend doing thorough testing of your setup in a place that won't harm any structures if it catches fire.
    Also, consider what would happen if one or both fans get dust in the bearings and stop rotating. Having 2 fans is a good thing.
    A little worst-case scenario planning could save you from a very expensive outcome.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I trust you meant, limiting the VISIBILITY, hi. I don't usually try to limit the viability of my projects. But that's just me. :) Nice job, by the way.

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I think it's a bad idea, and apparently so does Honda. This is from the owner's manual:

From Page 7:

Fire and Burn Hazards

The exhaust system gets hot enough to ignite some materials.

Keep the generator at least 3 feet ( 1 meter) away from buildings and other equipment.

Do not enclose the generator in any structure.

Keep flammable materials away from the generator.

KP4SX likes this.
  7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

just wondering is if you are going to be storing those outside. If so are you making the enclosures water proof and do you have your exhaust directed downward so rain wont be blown in. Same with the fans. Also are they for portable use or are you permanently mounting them.
    I havent insulated mine yet, I was thinking of using those cheap rubber mats from walmart cut to size. Was going to use styrofoam but I've seen too many mice holes in hot tub bases and in all the insulated ductwork at the radio transmitter sites I worked on. I made screens for my 2 - 320cfm cooling fans. I also ran 10" of screening at the rear of my gen hut at the top for extra venting. My exhaust goes out through furnace duct with a elbow on the end and I made a ceramic block from a bunch of old ceramic tiles to keep the hot exhaust from melting the vinyl siding where the exhaust pipe goes through.
    Conditions may be different here in Ontario than Calif. I live close to farm land.
    I wasnt going for stealth mode here but I just used vinyl siding the same thats on my garage and house.
    After this weeks blowin snow then rain - the gen here is dry
    I was going to put some pics on this post, then remembered they are already on my QRZ page

Its a good feeling to have some backup when the power goes out

73's Bob VE3CGA

8. WQ6N

Thank you sir

amazon -
    Kabel Leader 12038 AC Cooling Fan´╝îMuffin Fan, 115V 120V AC 120mm x 38mm High Speed, for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, bad idea. Read the manufacturer's safety warnings.

EU2200i noise spec is 57 dB(A) -- below normal speech level.

10. WQ6N

Well sir, I ran it for a full season with one fan. Added one more because it does get toasty here in SOCAL. Yes on a clear air path. That is a 4" heavy duty dryer vent on the tail end. Air flows in and around the generator. If your are familiar with the similar RV Gen-Turi system, it follows the same principles.
    I do run external marine fuel tank that splits into two feeds as mention in the original post. These generators run forever on 6 gallons of fuel.