Gender imbalance in ham radio

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by F4WBW, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Marissa,
    Congratulations on getting your license and Welcome to the YL forum.

There are also other young girls in this forum. Three of the girls are sisters from Northern Ireland and there names are Summer MI0YLT, her sister Grace 2I0GYL and the youngest is Savannah MI6PYL.

If you like, please post to this thread and tell us "What got you into amateur radio?"
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...-post-what-got-you-into-amateur-radio.498854/

Ok thank you, and welcome aboard. Wave_and_a_smile.jpg

73, Lisa

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    MI0YLT likes this.
  2. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Marissa! It's great to hear of your good experiences and I can only say that I wish I'd gotten into ham radio as young as you did. I only got my license a couple years ago, and let's just say I'm retired.

I got into radio because I really enjoyed hanging out with my husband's ham friends here in France. Got my US license (KC1DNI) and then used that to get a French call sign. But like you, I've mostly ever only had the OMs be really nice and encouraging to me. (Oh, there's always one jerk in the bunch - but everyone knows he's a jerk and we all kind of ignore him when he gets going.)

Like you, I actually like the YL label - maybe it helps if you know a bit of the history of it. But here in France amateur radio is really overwhelmingly OMs. I was just noticing in the most recent REF magazine (REF is our national radio association) there were lots of mentions of OMs when what they really meant was all radio amateurs. A bit annoying, but things here in France are a always a little different. I tend to focus on how friendly and easy to talk to the bulk of the French hams are. Anyhow, it's good to see you here on the forum and maybe after you get your General we can have a QSO some time.

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. KI0A

KI0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome Lisa and Marissa!

I'm also a mechanical engineer and have had a similar experience.
    All the OMs have been nice to me, but it wouldn't hurt to see more women in radio!

Melissa, KI0A (formerly KE0MHX)

MI0YLT and N6QIC like this.