Gender imbalance in ham radio

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by F4WBW, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jennifer,
    I am so glad that as a new ham you have not experienced any of the things that I and some of my friends have. Lets hope that you log many years of great contacts with nice friendly people.

MI0YLT, KG5OBE, KC9ZHV and 1 other person like this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing that I would like to point out to everyone. Most of us will experience at some time in our life as a Ham that the intrust will fade away and we are no longer interested. You may think about selling everything. I put mine in storage.

No matter what you decide to do, "Do Not" let your license expire.
    It is worth the effort to renew even if you don't want it. It took to much work for you just to let it go.

One day I went to my storage and as I was digging thru some boxes I said, Hey my ham radios. I brought one home hooked everything up and sense my license was still current I was back on the air that day.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    N5WVR, KC2IAY, KG5OBE and 2 others like this.
  3. AE7MB

AE7MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just found out about this forum this evening ...
    I've been licensed since 1976. When I was first licensed I was not taken seriously as a ham, but we were living in a high-tech area and men seemed to be in "old boys club" mode. YLs were welcome to the Christmas meeting, period, end of discussion.
    Ten years ago we moved to another part of the country and boy what a change. When we went to the VE session to change our addresses, there were two YLs there working side-by-side with five OMs. We attended a club meeting and I was warmly welcomed. Since that time our club has had several YL's who became officers. YLs head up committees, are active in ARES, participate in community events, are VEs, and do just about everything that the OMs do. We even run Tech classes for YLs.
    My OM is very supportive of my activities and encourages me to get on the air. OMs monitor our Wednesday evening YL net and say that it's the best net all week. They love the information that they get from us and the wide range of topics discussed. I've had OMs put their wife/girlfriend on the air to try and get them involved in the hobby. Last week a 10 year old girl asked me to help her study for her Tech license.
    So my take is that the discrimination that YLs experience isn't so much of a US thing as it is a regional thing.

AE9AM, KC9ZHV, MI0YLT and 2 others like this.
  4. 2W0OTK

2W0OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm quite shocked reading this thread. I've had my UK licence for about 18 months now. I've experienced no sexism at our club, in fact the OM have been really helpful. I've had positive experiences on air too. Maybe I've been lucky so far :-s

Jayne.

MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  5. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Its just like anything else you have to take the good with the bad.. I am happy you have not had to experience any problems with clubs or on the air! Its always good to hear great things back from other areas around the world!

N6QIC likes this.
  6. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just back from the International YL Conference in Milton Keynes, and I have to say that I was genuinely impressed with the warmth of our welcome there - not only by the YLs participating in the conference, but by the OMs who took part and all the hams I met and talked with at the RSGB conference at the weekend. This aggressive behavior seems (to me at least) to be mostly a function of some of the aggressive attitudes most prevalent these days back in parts of the US. (Sorry, guys, but you only have to look at online comments here and in other forums to notice the trend.) Maybe it's the nasty tone of the elections and/or the news over there.

I got into radio because of the people I met when attending ham functions here in France with my husband. Oh sure, there is always a stinker in the lot. In my case, one guy who offered to tell me what he felt was "wrong" with the US - to which I answered without even thinking that, sure, as long as I could then tell him my thoughts about what is wrong with France! Was having a "bad France day" at the time, but he changed the subject so I never got my chance. But every group, location and/or club seems to have one or two jerks like that.

In any event, I have to say that my experience last week in the UK was just super. Met some lovely people - YLs and OMs alike - and very definitely renewed my enthusiasm for the hobby, or sport or whatever this is we do here. (With propagation being what it has been lately, I needed a bit of a boost - and I definitely found it.)

W5MQC and KC9ZHV like this.
  7. W5MQC

W5MQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have lots of fun on the radio. Sometimes conversations are long, sometimes contact's are made and that's it, move on. I do participate in field days and have a blast. I think it is what you want it be, based on what you put into it. Most of the people I talk with, treat me with the same respect they treat the men. In fact, sometimes, I think I get treated a little special. I have gotten the "I'll take the YL, during a pile up!" So I would say my experience in how YL's are treated has been fantastic.

N6QIC, MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  8. MI6PYL

MI6PYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Only newly licenced as I am 10, 197.jpg

but been using radios from when I was 4 years old, all the hams at rallies and events have been niceee to me over the years indeed the very niceee people at QRZ.com gave me full membership for a year that's the ham spirit will try to give something back when I am older as everyone seems to help everyone else, thanks guys

KB0MLR, N6QIC, KC9ZHV and 1 other person like this.
  9. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

First off I want to say hello Savannah and welcome to the hobby!!! I wish I had gotten my amateur radio license when I was 10!! I hope to give back to the Amateur Radio Community as well!! And to QRZ Thank you for being so kind and letting Savannah have 1 year of membership!! Savannah it is amazing to me that you have accomplished getting your license so young! What type of equipment do you use? What frequencies or echolink nodes to you hang out on?? I would like to suggest to you to check out ylrl and they also have a facebook group!! We meet every Thursday night on Echolink at 7:00 pm CST on the Alara conference server!! Alara stands for Australian Lady Amateur Radio Association.. They let us use their echolink server for our nets and stuff!! Stop by and check us out some night!! I also have videos on my youtube channel of the nets you can find my youtube channel from my personal ham website kc9zhv.com
    I am slowly working on putting all the nets into a playlist so i am sorry if they are mumbo jumbo.. Keep up the great work!!

MI6PYL likes this.
  10. MI6PYL

MI6PYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Loren
    my sisters Summer and Grace are in BYLARA will join shortly myself
    yes I like echolink

We actually are setting up MB7IAF after getting the NOV here in my house.
    it will be connected to the Ireland conference, I am actually nominated to close it down {I know where the off switch is lol} as are my other 2 sisters.
    but we are having difficulties setting it up, ie voices and settings but it should be sorted out shortly.

N6QIC likes this.