"GAP Titan" antenna internal wiring help

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB3TTP, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KB3TTP

KB3TTP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just purchased a used GAP Titan antenna with the wires cut where they attach at the feedpoint. These are the wires that attach "inside" the tube. I am seeking help with the connections or a diagram. All I have is the coax end from the PL-259 connector and the ends of the coax tuning loop. I have a picture of what I have if it helps. I think I can guess how it connects but with this antenna I'm not taking anything for granted. I have the manual but it says nothing about the inside connectoion.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GAP doesn't publish a wiring diagram except for making the external connections required during assembly.

Why anyone would cut or disconnect any of the original internal wiring is beyond me and makes no sense (you can disassemble the antenna and put it back in its original 6' long carton without disconnecting any of that), but such is life.

You might call Chris at GAP and ask him if he'll provide the wiring diagram.
  3. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K4EEZ

post the picture ...

5. KB3TTP

Here is a picture of the connections that I have. Thank you for your reply. I have also submitted to join the yahoo group you mentioned.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A local club member also purchased a used GAP Titan -- that had been hacked (internal coax).

GAP Support has NOT been helpful (after several e-mails, replacement of top capacitor).
    Poor support for this specific club member, who also leads our VE team does not help GAP with positive references to new amateurs.
    How many advertisedments ($$) do they have to spend to neutralize poor support?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I complained about their support also in an article I published on eHam.net entitled, "The Eagle Has Landed," which details the problems with that antenna.

In response I received correspondence from the owner of GAP explaining their customer support is excellent and always helps everyone, without exception.

I didn't find that to be the case, though, and I guess your local club member didn't, either.
  8. K4EEZ

That looks nasty!
    well Gap will charge you 100 bux for a new wire coax wire harness
    one of the taps on my harness is also missing prob. fell inside the tube :rolleyes:
    i did email chriss and thats what he siad to me, it needs replacing.

so one of two thing you could do is goto that yahoo group (in the Prev. post) and get help, or buy a new coax harness.

choice is yours
    ps check out the pdf files i have attached.. 73

9. KB3TTP

Thanks for the info. I found my answer on the gap yahoo group photo pages. There is a photo of an old magazine clipping there. I can say I didn't expect both coax shields to attach in the middle at the feedpoint and nothing else. This antenna I think is going to defy gravity next and it wont surprize me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.