G5RV or OFCD Windom

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4VTC

KK4VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KK4VTC

3. AA1EZ

AA1EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A 40m full wave loop would work well for you and would fit in your attic.

K0UO and KA9MOT like this.
  4. KK4VTC

I have a ZS6BKW. I agree that it's very good with 40m, 20m & 10m. A bonus is that it's also very good with 17m and 12m. As WB5yuz said, it does not like 15m and it doesn't like 80m/75m. I recently measured SWR and found the overall 15m band to range from 7.0 t0 7.2. The tuner can 'fix' it but there's probably not much left of a signal.

5. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the half-size version, the g5rv-jr, works well on 40m, 20m, and 20m. The standard g5rv works well on 80m, 40m, and 20m. The double size g5rv works well on 160m, 80m, and 40m.

My ZS6BKW works well on all HF bands with a few easy modifications.

http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

K7TRF likes this.
  6. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Again..... W5GI Mystery Antenna! .....and Again.....and Again....

AI3V likes this.
  7. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

My first antenna was a G5RV. It's not a good antenna. Experimenting with different multiband antennas, I settled on a homebrew OCFD. It's closely related to a Windom. All you need is a good 4:1 balun and some wire. I made two for 80M and they work for all higher bands with a tuner. I still use one on my backup radio. They are good all-round multiband antennas. I can work all the US and Europe with one at 40ft.

K0UO likes this.
  8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would do an Alpha Delta trapped dipole or fan dipole before any G5RV or OCFD.
    Heck, I'd tune up the local light post before those antennas.
    The fan dipole is RESONANT. NO LOSS IN THE TUNER. Very minimal losses using coax, due to having a good SWR.
    Go through the hassle. It's definitely worth it.
    I can slap one together in a few hours. Done it several times.

Ed

AI3V likes this.
  9. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would look and realise this thread is 3 years old

KD2NOM likes this.
  10. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am running a Carolina Windom 40 at 35' in an inverted Vee configuration and have been using it for almost a year. I operate mainly data modes now and using this antenna with my FT-450D's internal tuner I have made contacts on the following bands:

40m - 46%
    30m - 18%
    20m - 21%
    17m - 4%
    12m - <1%
    10m - 7%
    6m - <1%

I run at 10 watts most of the time and 80% of my QSO's are within NA.