ad: Halibut-1

G0KSC design 40m rotating dipole to take the market by storm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4TI

KI4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

In my humble opinion "new" antenna designs are released for one purpose only and that is money. As long as manufacturers can keep hams obsessing over various antenna characteristics they can keep making this money. Just how important is this front-to-back ratio, side nulls, etc. This argument seems to be more important to those running very high power. I recently worked DXCC in six months using half-wave verticals and 5 watts of power. Where is the challenge of ham radio using yagis, 50 foot towers and running a "full gallon"?

VK5EEE and N4IVE like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Making money is awesome.

3. KI4TI

KI4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great!!! Give me some of yours. ;)

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why?

Some of us are not out enjoying entitlements in comfortable retirement, floating down a lazy river.

Some of us make money past retirement age, so as to help others and not be a burden.

Making money is the nutz.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    MM0XXW and NL7W like this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Making money is indeed awesome, only surpassed by investing that money to make more money!

Successful radio comms is all about signal-to-noise ratio. Big complicated transmit antennas with gain are one way to emit a strong signal. But thats not the only way to make xmit "gain". Just use a dipole wire and just turn up the equivalent QRO!

A comparably located dipole with the legal limit pumped into it will beat out a barefoot rig into a tribander, easily. (Perhaps the FCC amateur radio power limit should be defined in ERP on all bands? ;-)

Again, it's all about SNR. You can't work 'em unless you can hear 'em! Unfortunately worldwide for a variety of reasons HF QRM and noise floor is rising, but the recent trends in active and directional receive-only antenna products are amazing. Null out the crap and lids! The target DX signal doesn't have to even move the S meter, it just needs to be "Q5". The rest is operating skill and patience.

73 de John WØPV

VK5EEE and NL7W like this.
  6. N4ECO

N4ECO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Less torque...

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got YC0LOU 7152 this morning, from my current QTH in Korea. He has something similar. I bet his neighbors love it:

[​IMG]

9. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

More action!

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years, the CC D-40 has proven to be a very good antenna. Though I am not sure about its current factory construction techniques and QC checks, but it has proven to be a winner for years.

11. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I have never had an HF yagi or any kind of directional antenna on HF, I have over many years used VHF and UHF Yagis and I find many disadvantages with the nulling out interference. That ability has in effect made it more difficult to hear distant station that are in that null; stations you want to hear. No, and Omni vertical or a somewhat high dipole (fixed) is the way to go.

K2WH

12. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Built 40 meter rotatable dipole out of 2 S9 31' verticals, two 24 inch whips made from 10 awg solid junk copper wire, some misc hardware and paint, 1 mast to antenna homebrew aluminum plate and 6 aluminum u bolts, two 30 inch 1 &5/8's aluminum pipes, homebrew balun, and about 50 feet of 150 lb. fishing line to support droop in antenna. 1.2 swr over complete 40 meter band, no gain, no front to back and weighs about 10 lbs. Buddy thinks we can change droop support lines to 30 meter inverted vee and have a two banded rotatable dipole up there above the noise. Gonna try that this spring! $150 plus junk box parts invested so far and has survived 2 Minnesota winters.

NU4R likes this.
  13. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I just wasted a ton of money on my M2 and separate tower.

WHOOPS! I forgot "Chippie!

I'm supposed to remain "anonymous!" My apologies!

And DARN IT! I simply HAVE to find time to MEGA-bloat my QRZ bio!!!

See you at HamCation "CHIPPIE?"

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

By your use of caps, I imagine you are used to shouting in the pileups...

Towers are fine, and your interest in legacy antennas is commendable.

Go ask K1 AR about his antenna farm....

As to being compared to a diminutive dog, well, nice try.

dX dog, perhaps.

I guess that as some of us get older, we need to reduce those which threaten our points of view. From alleged bark to yip....

Nope , no hamcation for the Chipster... I am skiing, not eating . Be sure to do some walking in FL and enjoy.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  15. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like 99% of the pretend news articles on this site are little more than late night, TV, "snake oil" commercials.

VK5EEE likes this.