ad: ProAudio-1

G0KSC design 40m rotating dipole to take the market by storm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

G0KSC design 40m rotating dipole to take the market by storm

G0KSC has again broken from tradition and introduced a new design, this time a 40m rotating dipole.

The Delta C-140 is under 12m wide and despite being small has an extremely high radiating efficiency which is reflected in the antennas SWR bandwidth, the whole 40m band in under 1.5:1 without an ATU.

[​IMG]

So how has this been done? Many hams and antenna companies have made the mistake of installing low efficiency coils far too close to the dipole centre. The Delta C-140 uses a combination of capacity loading and large diameter coils moved out much further out either side of the dipole and this has given the antenna its unique wide bandwidth, high efficiency characteristics.

The Delta C-140 is substantially built with a centre section of some 50mm diameter and thus does not require any guying. Marine grade stainless steel is used throughout.

High efficiency means high power ratings too and 5KW is not a problem for this amazing antenna.

If you want to be heard and radiate most of what you put into your antenna on 40m, the Delta C-140 is your choice but be quick, wait times are already approaching 4 weeks!

http://www.innovantennas.com/antennas-a-accesories/on-line-shop/
    view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/501/virtuemart_category_id/81.html

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2016/february/g0ksc_design_40m_rotating_dipole.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am curious about this antenna's performance at 3/2-wavelength,
    how close its bandwidth is to the 15-meter allocation and Z (impedance).

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My dummy load has 1:1 VSWR across the 20m band. It must be very efficient too! Hmmmm.

W8ZNX and VK5EEE like this.
  4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly:
    "extremely high radiating efficiency which is reflected in the antennas SWR bandwidth"

Huh?

W8ZNX and VK5EEE like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lotta torque from those hats...

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The QF on the coils is probably quite high, so the alleged efficiency is probsbly accurate. You often lose more than a dB gain from standard coils/traps.

This is not a new antenna design, but a new design for this company.

Not a hugesize reduction, and putting weight load on the ends on this scale invites some real issues with weather.

Lets see if it can take the so-called storm:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    VK5EEE likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...and it's still just a dipole, with ZERO F/B.

VK5EEE and W7UUU like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nuthin wrong with dipoles.

Why are we obsessed with Yagis?

Too much emphasis in ham radio on F/B. Usually the QRN and QRM aint coming from the back...

Try high gain omnis if you really wanna live...low launch
    angle , limited high angle :)

Or try dynamic nulling with them , which is what I do...

VK5EEE likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My goodness.

Darn. Meant to say Oh my goodness.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with dipoles, if that's all you can manage.
    We're 'obsessed with Yagis' because they perform better. And, if you're going to rotate a dipole, likely a little more work gets you significantly better performance.

Sometimes forward gain isn't what you need. When I turn my yagi 180° to an interfering signal, it usually makes my intended QSO manageable. You forgot to mention F/S as well. When I turn my yagi 90° to an interfering signal, the interfering signal literally disappears.

Done that, with homebrew λ/2 verticals. During simultaneous comparison to λ/4 verticals, the λ/2 vertical is SOMETIMES slightly better. Other times, because it is omnidirectional, the QRN/QRM is just as bad. In that case, a rotatable antenna (yagi, dipole, steerable array) is superior.

Or try dynamic nulling with them , which is what I do...[/QUOTE]
    Having a steerable array is better than something that isn't.

11. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not knocking Yagis, of course they perform better in the direction they are facing. Even better, imho, Cubical Quads. But where a dipole often beats yagis, is when the yagi isn't facing in the optimal direction, deeper nulls than a dipole. I'm fortunate in that the places I want to work and the bands, the dipole does fine, but if I could put up a Yagi, would I? You bet I would. If I felt a cubical quad would weather storms as good or better than a Yagi, I'd prefer to put up a quad. Back to this article, sounds very odd to say "has an extremely high radiating efficiency which is reflected in the antennas SWR bandwidth", but, we do live in the era of George Orwell's "ignorance is strength"!

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yagis are fine for TX but really stinko for RX. Unless you have a lot if them, which is a waste.

A single shortened dipole, high up, with an RX array separate, easily beats a multi element Yagi for TX/RX set at lower height.

So thats why we are seeing a press release on a dipole....

Yagis look imposing, but as an overall solution they are a waste of money for hf dxing.

I dont use verticals;vertical dipoles of half wave are not high gain omnis.

VK5EEE likes this.
  13. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You think they would actually mention how many dB down on a full-sized dipole it is . . .

Just talking about VSWR is rather like saying a Car has fantastic fuel economy, but avoiding mentioning the lack of acceleration!

(also spelling mistakes on their website doesn't look very professional!)

VK5EEE likes this.
  14. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A high dipole is all that is necessary to work anything, anywhere in the world.

I have never had any other type of antenna except a wire dipole for 80 meters fed with a auto-tuner up about 60 feet. Worked Australia on 160 meters with 100 watts.

The money I saved by not buying a large rotatable yagi, I invested and now I am a millionaire after 30 years. :)

K2WH

VK5EEE and VE3PP like this.
  15. WW1WW

WW1WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That thing would not last in the Northeast, or any part of the country that has ice or high wind. In fact the element tips would probably snap just trying to install it.

VK5EEE likes this.