FTM400XDR Portable Digital Mode

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2CQW, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:10 AM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody got this working? I have slavishly followed all the steps, but when turn on the rig by holding down DX and Power, I do not see PDN on my screen.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Can the computer see the radio? Can you complete the software configuration?

When I first updated the FTM-400 and switched it over to PDN mode, nothing on the screen changed until I connected it to the computer and did the registration.

3. K2CQW

I have made progress, now I must figure out to make contacts. Firmware & DSP software upated, registered with Yaesu. Wires-x software installed. Now I must read the manual. Computer does see the radio.

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

The manual can be kind of convoluted. If you have the analogue cables connected, always use 'HRI mode' (confusing since it does not involve and HRI-200). You can use HRI mode without the analogue cables, but you will not be able to converse with anyone who is using analogue on the other end (it happens, but not too often). The primary reason to use HRI mode is that most rooms are set up to accept digital and analogue. If you are in 'PDN mode,' you will only be able to connect to digital-only rooms.

When you first start, I would advise using direct mode and connecting to a well-populated room. If you try and directly connect to repeaters, most of them will reject you because they are connected to rooms. Repeaters are listed in the middle left portion of the Wires-X software, and rooms are listed in the bottom-left.

There is almost always someone on America-Link, but it can be crowded. WM-Connect (Western Michigan) and KC2RC (Brooklyn, NY--of which I am a member) normally have people monitoring who would be happy to help you check your system.

K2CQW likes this.
  5. K2CQW

W4EAE: Thanks, I'll try KC2RC tomorrow morning (Sat). Yes a pal. 73

6. K2CQW

Sucess! QSO's with N8UKF and KE8WXT on WM-Connect. Thanks & 73