ad: AlphaRF-1

FTM-400XDR install - RAM 1500

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by VA3KXS, Apr 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3KXS

VA3KXS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I was fairly surprised at how much room was behind that center stack, and lucky there was a usable cross member to bolt to and that cubby to drill holes in. I'll have to thank a RAM engineer if I ever encounter one! :)

The control panel is fairly large, but I like it. I'm running APRS on the second VFO so it doesn't really need to be displayed all the time.

I haven't totally wrapped my head around why it's beeping at me half the time. I've turned off all of the pop-ups but had a few alerts turned on. I've been in the parking lot listening to the last part of a local net when it has gone off... can't for the life of me figure out what the beeps are for. It needs a screen that shows all of the items it has beeped for, lol. I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point (or just disable them all).

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be the APRS side beeping for a new station received. (S.W.A.G.) :)

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 2004 1500. Here are the heads to my radios, which are under the back bench seat passenger side.
    upload_2019-6-12_13-26-36.jpeg

Here are the antennas on the roof:
    upload_2019-6-12_13-27-30.jpeg

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KC9ONY and AI7PM like this.
  4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love seeing it done right. Nice work.

5. VA3KXS

Looks good! Is that a custom bracket? What are you connecting to below? Seat bolt?

That’s quite the antenna array!

6. VA3KXS

You nailed it. Turned off the alerts and all good now.

7. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a goose neck type mount drilled into the tranny hump. There is vertical bracket that attaches to the top of the goose, then I mounted each control head bracket to that. I'll see if I can found out what model it is.

It took about 6 or so hours to get the headliner down, and get the measurements correct on the roof before I drilled. Double-check, triple-check etc. as I didn't want any of them to be out of "whack". That was the most nerve-racking part of the install.

The two antennas in the front are basically scanner antennas at this point.

8. VA3KXS

Looks like you did a great job installing them symmetrically. Not easy!

I only pulled down the passenger side since I only had to reach halfway over. Sure are a lot of bits and pieces involved in taking it down!

9. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Taking down?? With respect to most modern vehicles, the headliner is installed before the windshield is installed.

10. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and since you can't take them out with the windshield in place, it can offer challenges. On my last few F-150s pulling just rear corner areas was doable without creasing the headliner. The middle C-channel support on those also served as a cable chase for the center mounted antennas that lead the coax right to the back of the cab.
    I'm about to install three in the roof of a Ram MegaCab, as well as install DyaMat to reduce antenna related wind noise. I'll have to remove a pile of trim then let the liner just rest on the seats. In the end, it'll be worth it. May even install a 4th NMO and just cap it for future use.