ad: QSKLLC-1

FT991 vs FT1200 hands on

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W8JX, Feb 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. UB3DMF

UB3DMF Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian, the dude has the connected radio on USB, the dude wants, to connect through the external... and to compare it to work of SCU-17...
    P.S. I wouldn't ask if the description was in instructions...

--
    Dmitry.

K3EY likes this.
  2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dimitri dude:

Let's see. You want to hook up the SCU-17 to an FT-991 to see if it performs differently than the SCU-17 already built into the radio? Presumably through the CAT and PSK ports. Suggest you start a dedicated thread as I doubt many have tried to do that.

Good luck.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you still testing those radios ?

You have not posted here in awhile.

I hope you did not get hurt smoke testing them.

4. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Will say this. Have played with teh 7410 for some time, excellent receiver, great NB and NR. Of course, has the same receiver as the 7600 and 7700 and he results are nearly neck and neck in Sherwoods Receiver Test Data (if you hang your hat on that alone). the 7410 is ergonomic. I love the fact you can see your ALC, Power Out AND compression all displayed at once so any adjustment is easy (vs back and forth with the push of the ALC button). To me, teh 7410 is head above the 991 and 1200. If you need multi band (i.e. VHF and UHF) then by all means, get a compromise radio that has those bands. Prefer to keep VHF/UHF in a separate box myself). 1200 is a good mid range starter radio and honestly, the performance of all three I have noted are close within the same range just personal preference (I like more highs vs lows, I live more bass audio, etc.). I don't much care for dinking around in a menu to set something, I prefer having a knob or button for that. On the smaller radios, that convenience goes into the menus for space reasons.

5. VK2NZA

VK2NZA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Vote 2 for the Icom IC 7410, excellent receiver,brilliant ergonomics , great clear easy to read screen and superb selectivity especially with inexpensive 3 and 6 khz roofing filters, about $50 eac on E'Pay.
    Much easier to use than a 991A( avoid original 990) but not sold new anymre but sometimes hard to find used as people tend to hang on to then.
    The 1200 is Meh, shell out a bitmore for the FT-3000 or betterstill the FT-101D if you're a Yaesu adherant.

6. W5IEI

W5IEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly,to me,there isn't a dimes worth of difference between my 7300,890,and 3000.
    At leasr on low bands in summertime conditions.