ad: ProAudio-1

FT991 vs FT1200 hands on

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W8JX, Feb 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there done that, no mystery's in menus on 1200. While some look at a rig for a while and scratch themselves and never delve into menus, I dive right into them. I am well aware of some of setting to access in 1200. I also make comments only on receiver because I have not done any on air tests for transmitter. FT 991 and FT 1200 have different receiver logic in them as well as different IF frequencies and are not twins.

2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the 991 and 1200 receivers are different. Not just the logic - the IF frequencies are different, too and probably the shape factor on the roofing filters, since the 991 IF is higher frequency. Like the 3000, the 991 already has the USB sound card in place - a nice touch.

Regarding TX quality, the 1200 and 3000 have both received unsolicited comments about excellent SSB voice quality, using the Yaesu MD-100A8X desk mic, using the default equalization settings. JT-65 seems to work fine as well.

Regarding the menus, note that since last summer's upgrades, the 1200 and 3000s menus have changed and there are significant differences between the manual's description and actual operation, in some cases. Most important, digital mode and SSB power control can be moved to the front panel, and the waterfall selections for spectrum monitoring have been improved. But you probably know that already.

Also confusing to me when I first started using the radios, there seem to be multiple memory systems (user memory, quick memory, band stacking memory, fixed channel memory, dual VFO memories, separate FM tone memories...) whose use and interaction is not always consistent or logical. If you've got that down, you are doing well.

Best Regards,

Brian K6BRN

3. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy listening to rigs side by side to compare them. Been doing it for many many years. The variable of course is the human ear and even speaker for rig too. (I have a TS570D(G) and it sounds MUCH better on a external speaker) I am a little tone deaf at higher frequencies but hear lower frequencies well. Because of this I tend to be more critical of sound of the upper frequency ranges of the human voice as reproduced by rigs receiver. First thing I do with a rig is tweak any frequency response curves or settings rig might have to match my hearing. To my "ear" the 991 sounded a bit cleaner and clearer in audio response and 1200 sounded a bit heavier in bass and lacking a bit in upper frequency voice fidelity even when tweaked to try to get fullest sounding audio from it. The mixer sounded a bit quieter too. T0 someone else's ear it may sound different.

4. PA3FIC

PA3FIC Ham Member QRZ Page

got a ft 991 for a bout a week must say got a very nice riceiver in it think its beter than the ft 950
    73s henk

5. AE4G

AE4G Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI - You can change the 1200's meter to a bar graph in the menu. I prefer the bar graph as well.

6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

They should make it the default because S-meter is not smooth.

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my FT-450D for maybe since 3/5/2016 and have made 510 contacts on it. I wonder how many I would have made if I had got a good radio. I wanted a 991 but just could not spend the money. Thanks for tax returns though!

John, WB0MPB

8. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

The analog meter seems smooth in my FTdx-1200. Perhaps the one you tried does not have the latest firmware update?
    The parametric equalizer in the 1200's transmit section will allow you to make almost any mic sound almost any way you want.
    There are receive controls and menu settings that allow almost any receive profile you want, also.
    I'm scratching my head as to how anyone could not find pleasing settings in both transmit and receive.

Never played with a 991 or 450 so I can't comment on those.

9. UB3DMF

UB3DMF Ham Member QRZ Page

Prompt please how to connect Yaesu FT-991 to the Yaesu SCU-17 interface (What settings are necessary in the menu)? Thanks!

10. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to read the instructions, Dude - or at least glance at them.

The Yaesu FT-991 and FT-991A do not use an external SCU-17 interface box. This function (USB control and sound card ports) are already built-in to the radio. No external interface box or sound card needed. Just go to the Yaesu site for the FT-991, download the USB port driver per the instructions, and go.

Menu numbers for port settings are in the downloadable, searchable manual for the radio.

Brian - K6BRN