FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0XX, Apr 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

What is required to operate FT8? Not sure I ever want to but just curious....

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A Windows, Linux, or Mac computer running WSJT-X software, a clock syncronizing program on your computer such as Dimension4 (FT8 depends on very precise clock timing), an audio interface to your transceiver (SignaLink, RigBlaster, homebrew, etc.), and a transceiver capable of USB (same mode on all bands) preferably with CAT control from the computer.

It's not too hard to set it all up

You get the free software here: https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

ZILLIONS of web sites explain it all

Dave
    W7UUU

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CHRIS,

DAVE GAVE YOU SOME GOOD SCOOP.

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO

73 - K1LKP

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you just want to dabble and test the water you can skip the interface and CAT control.

5. K4MJA

K4MJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

some radios with on-board sound card do not require external interface between PC and the radio; I connect mine with the only USB cable.

6. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you still have to go to the group every week to get a new download link? I got tired of that and have not been back for a while.

8. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Might want to "hold off" KZ4KZ. There are future enhancements that could be 'worked up'. It'll be really painful updating, say, once every couple years ...

9. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll check back in a couple years then.

10. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No longer necessary. Release 1.0 is good to go and can be updated as necessary without going to that page. It's up and working quite well now. No need to wait. If you have used FT8, JT9, or any of the other WSJT modes JS8Call will be rather intuitive. You will figure it out quickly. More info available here.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/159S4wqMUVdMA7qBgaSWmU-iDI4C9wd4CuWnetN68O9U/edit