FT8 QRM: What do you do????

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K4EM, Sep 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the issue I come across everyday. Say your 0n 20m FT8, you hear a rare dx station calling CQ on 1500, he's -5 a gud signal. So you set up split and start calling him on 2000. Your calling him for a few minutes and then another station starts calling CQ on 1485, he's +04. Hmmm, you can no longer hear the rare dx, maybe intermittently. What do you do.

A. call it quits, go upstairs and put your favorite Slim Whitman album on and practice your yodeling
    B. let out a big sigh, and pick another band/mode, etc.
    C. order a 180' Big Bertha and 4 6 element 20m mono-banders and yell at the radio; I'm going to show you
    D. click on WSJT Alert, press F5 and send the offending station a nice txt; cud you pls qsy ur on top of ET3AA, tnx & 73
    E. get in your car and drive to the nearest Dunkin Donuts and order 3 chocolate eclairs.
    F. turn your amp on and run a KW trying to work the station you can't hear anymore.
    Dave
    k4em

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If he can't hear the DX, he can't hear the DX. Just work other stations and enjoy your radio time until the domestic station clobbering the DX moves on, then try to work the DX again.

I guess that would be option (G), which didn't make your original list. :)

I have been clobbered hundreds of times on FT8. At first, it bothered me, but what I realized after a couple thousand contacts is that most people who clobber me (or a split I'm trying to work) don't stay there very long. So if you just wait them out, they often go away on their own after a few minutes. That's even true if they are calling CQ.

KP4SX and KT5WB like this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

D: Go into JT Alert text mode and see if that Op is online. Send him a text message to explain the situation to him and if he is not a Lid, he will move.

Otherwise, move to 1485 and option F ... :-}

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps,................. He is doing the same thing to a station (also on 1485), that you don' t hear.

AG5DB likes this.
  5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

G. Practice your Jimmie Rodgers Blue Yodel #1.

6. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

just wait...patience is a virtue.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. If he can't hear the DX and the offset is clear for him then he is not doing anything wrong. You can ask him to move, but he may already be in the only clear spot for him, on his waterfall. The FT8 region is a shared space. It is not about what any one of us wants. And what we "see" is not generally what others "see" ... especially on the higher bands. So I would just move on or come back later.

And by the way, calling someone 500 Hz away may work in many cases, no problem, but some folks do not "listen" very wide and won't hear you if you are not within their pass-band. I have much better luck if I stay within 250 Hz of whoever I am trying to work, but that is because my preferred radio imposes a 600 Hz pass-band in PKT mode. There is a fix, but it is cumbersome and not reliable, so I just spin the dial in 500 Hz increments until I have worked everyone across the band that I can work. That actually works well for me as it keeps things relatively simple, especially in a crowded band.

W4RAV likes this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pick another spot and move on. Perhaps the DX will have seen your call and return to you in a few minutes.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

G. None of the above.

You do what you always do when you're working rare DX: be patient and keep listening. After he's in the log you can do E. But make it Krispy Kreme. :)

10. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Put a notch filter over the strong local offender and carry on. This works great on FT8 with my FT891 and KW TS590SG. The narrow notch on my Icom 7300 is a bit wider, but it still works too.

AD7DB and K5TCJ like this.