FT8 and QRM

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KP4SX, Jan 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait till the 'new' wears off...

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

By that time we will be at the peak of the sunspots and people with impaired antenna systems will be enjoying worldwide DX on 17/15/10 meter FT8.

Also by that time many on air hams will have figured out what SNR reported levels on FT8 will support fone modes.

All that leaves is the same wet blanket people who will post their dislike for FT8 because it isn't radio.

The fact that those people are on the internet without using a radio to complain about those who use a computer along with a radio is indicative of something.

WU8Y, N1NA and WA4BCS like this.
  3. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you - I do appreciate your reply. This is really what I need to know. A very intelligent and helpful reply, not the "Party Line" crap. Other suggestions are most welcome. My Mind is still open.
    73 chuck

4. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, do you remember that feeling when you bought your first Edsel?

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Try JTDX as well. It's a fork of WSJT-X. For other digital modes I suggest FLDIGI. For logging and other tools, try DXLabs. For contesting N1MM+.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you comparing the Edsel to FT8 or JS8Call?:rolleyes::D

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... Never had an Edsel. If did have one I can only hope I still had one. Know what a decent Edsel goes for now??

8. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a combination of tropo and E skip made East Coast to Europe 10 meter FT8 just like shooting fish in a barrel.

No QRM at all.

9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also suggest JTDX instead of WSJT-x ( unless you need FT4 ) its a much more usable program. JT Alert works with it as well - JT Alert is really a necessity and its free. HRD - of course - best RTTY / PSK / Digi program out there. My 3000
    works great with digital.

Oh - the 3000 - make sure you have some ferrites on your USB line.

10. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen that sort of thing quite a bit over the years, and we probably can't blame it entirely on careless operating -- especially if one of the overlapping stations is DX. Could be a situation where you hear an overlapping DX station, but another operator does not and so he TX's an overlap that you see. Probably fairly common at some particular combination of QTH/Freq./time -- but not seen at a different QTH for that particular moment in time. Or if there's a significant difference in antennas, polarization, etc.

That would be an interesting graphical display on pskreporter.info, for example. Show me all the transmissions at a precise frequency, that happened simultaneously at a particular timestamp and who spotted them. I would expect lots of regional bubbles, many overlap sets, and many not.

I wonder whether WSJT-X is aided in its ability to separate overlaps if there's a consistent dB differential between signals, due to the underlying FFT math.

73, KD0KZE / Paul