FT8 and QRM

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KP4SX, Jan 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never thought that FT8 could cut thru something like what is shown here. Two strong signals only a few Hertz apart basically in sync time wise.

hk6.jpg

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty amazing. Narrow-minded QSOs can be a good thing. :)

3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone was transmitting the audio of a commercial radio station on 14.074 USB last week. It was S9 at my station, yet wsjt-x had no trouble decoding all of the FT8 stations underneath the audio.

4. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I mess with lots of FT8, and its getting very bad. Lots of stations never check if there little spot is free and just transmit. Just tonight I logged 5 stations that QRMed me because in my opinion they just don't care. Clearly you can tell some are running much higher power. But that I really don't care about. Its the fact they people are just clicking and hitting go. Furthermore other instances are, operator calling cq a station responds, you end the contact and the station starts calling CQ on the same slot you are calling on and have been calling on for an hour. And I agree with lots of folks FT8 is very impersonal. Its a fun mode but my thermostat is going to hit its max with all these so called operators.

KT5WB likes this.
  5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 needs the equivalent of "QRL?", and just "?". Between CW and FT8, one is my favorite and the other is my preferred.

6. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

Back on the air, after over a 35 year hiatus, after a dissolved marriage. Now getting back on and have the radio and the computers to do Digital.
    I used to be a CW lover (And still am).
    Digital intrigues me, obviously, many digital modes are less personal, but I have never been a "rag chew" kinda guy. I did RTTY, back in the day, with a ASR 28, teletype and a 60 mil current loop converter to TTL. That thing was a beast, heavy, noisy and SLOW.
    Now reading the ARRL "Get on the air with HF Digital" book.
    Rig is a Yaseu FTDX-3000, and the most important part, the new improved XYL of 30 years, who is just got her license and studying for the general.
    I would really appreciate suggestions on Software and Mode preferences. IE: HRD for example???
    Thanks ladies and gents,
    73 Chuck, N1NA

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The waterfall tells you that :rolleyes:

WF4W and KY1K like this.
  8. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I experience, quite a few don't look. :rolleyes:

KT5WB and WF4W like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Poor lids. They try it all the time and nobody is bothered. :)

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD is fine if you want to try PSK31. Unfortunately, there isn't much activity on that (nice) mode these days. All the action is on FT8, so get a copy of the (free) WSJT-X and have at it. You'll want a logging program of some kind as well. HRD works great with WSJT-X and JTAlert (a little program you'll want to use with WSJY-X), but there are other very good loggers like N3FJP. :)