FT8 and Grid Squares.

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K2WH, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I know there are many out there that hunt grid squares, but I don't think there are as many hunting states.

I am hunting states and with just a little tweaking of the CQ call, remove the grid square 4 digit number letter combination and put in your state abbreviation.

Makes thing very much easier.

I append my CQ's with NNJ.

For instance, CQ K2WH NNJ

Instead of CQ K2WH FN21

With the grid squares I am constantly looking up on my grid square map where the station is located, what state he is in.

When a grid square covers or overlaps multiple states then its just a guess unless you are fast enough to look up the calls location before he gets picked up by another station.

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're using WSJT software, get JTAlert. It displays the state abbreviation for every US station it copies along with the station's call sign. You can even set it so it displays a specific color to alert you to states you specifically want. I have mine set so states I still need are shown in yellow with black text.

K2CQW likes this.
  3. K2WH

I had JTalert at one time but seemed a hassle to set up with having to download multiple files.

Maybe I 'll give it another try, thanks for the info.

4. K2WH

Update:

I installed JTalert and it works nicely but I get no sound or audible "Alert".

Do I need additional files ?

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

do you have the "alert" activated

There is a setting at the top of the box that should read :SOUND ON... if it says SOUND OFF then click it[​IMG]

6. K2WH

Maybe I have the wrong version ? I have 2.12.5

Yes, sound is on, and the alerts are visual, but no sound and I can no longer get to the sound setup page !

The sound test function from JTalert, works but not when any of my assigned alerts are posted.

Update:

I no longer get the visual alerts nor, does it identify the state the US amateur is located.

I think this is why I dumped JTalert a long time ago, I just don't get it.

upload_2018-10-9_16-43-47.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. K2WH

Can someone steer me to a good download site for JTalert, the latest version ?

8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been getting it from https://hamapps.com which also has the two support files, the callsign database and the sounds.

I have to confess I have no idea what's going on with the issues you're having. Hopefully a fresh install may help or perhaps someone else can give you some hints about what's going on.

K4RKY likes this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is what I would do.

COMPLETELY uninstall the current version and reinstall

10. K2WH

OK, I got it working.

My biggest issue was old thinking in that the "Manage Settings" listing was your typical help file not an actual "Setup" file so I ignored it.

I discovered my mistake by accident when I expanded a few or them.

Anyway, thanks and it is working fine and I already snagged 2 new states I needed on 17 meters.

KC9YGN likes this.