ad: w5yi

FT8 Added Pending the Release of ADIF Version 3.0.6

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by VA7STV, Jul 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA7STV

VA7STV QRZ Engineering Manager Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Due to overwhelming demand we have added support for the FT8 mode ahead of the official release of ADIF version 3.0.6. Because this is based on the draft specification it is possible that these contacts will need to be updated again after the release if changes are made. We believe this to be unlikely though.

Note: To my knowledge LOTW does not yet support FT8 so these contacts will likely be rejected when doing an LOTW upload.

CM2AML, YB3BX, CO8ZV and 3 others like this.
  2. PY2RN

PY2RN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great news, but when SATELLITE mode will be implemented in QRZ? My understanding this is already a standard in ADIF (Propagation Mode, Satellite Name).

Ed PY2RN

F5SVU likes this.
  3. KM4FLF

KM4FLF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, I think this might be the answer to my question. I worked my first FT8 QSO's yesterday. I logged then as FT8 and uploaded them to LoTW. When I performed my LoTW download today, I had duplicate entries but instead of FT8 the mode shows DATA.

Did that come from LoTW? I have a star beside my first QRZ entry showing confirmed, but nothing on the DATA entry.

Steve
    KM4FLF
    VA3FLF

4. N9GUE

N9GUE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems strange for the authors of the FT8 mode to put out this mode which registers in the log file as FT8 and ARRL not make a change to accept this mode on a temporary basis. Eqsl and QRZ accept this logged mode. Because of the excessive cost of ARRL awards I post my logs there as a help to those that use LOTW.

1 person likes this.
  5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can and should immediately submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. Confirmations they generate are valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards. To submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW, you must first configure TQSL to automatically “map” their mode to DATA. This is a simple procedure in TQSL:

· Select the File menu’s “Display or Modify Preferences…” command (on OS X, select the Application menu’s Preferences command) to display TQSL’s Preferences dialog

· In the Preferences dialog, select the “ADIF Modes” tab, and click the“Add…” button

· In the “ADIF Mode:” box, type FT8

· In the “Resulting TQSL Mode” list, click on DATA, and then click theOK button at the bottom of the tab

· Click the Preference dialog’s OK button

Why is this necessary? There will always be a delay between the appearance of a new digital mode, and LoTW being updated to accept that mode. This delay is not the result of updating LoTW being a lengthy or onerous process; this process is actually quite straightforward. The delay allows the new mode’s properties to stabilize. FT8, for example, was originally named JT8.

When LoTW is updated to accept FT8 QSOs, will the confirmations or award credits generated by your QSOs mapped to DATA be adversely impacted? Absolutely not! If you immediately submitted your FT8 QSO mapped to DATA, but your QSO partner waited and submitted your QSO as FT8, you’ll both receive a confirmation valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

At some time in the future, the ARRL may decide to offer a WAS FT8 endorsement. Such an endorsement will require an “exact mode match”, meaning that both participants in a QSO submit it to LoTW with a mode of FT8. If and when such an endorsement is offered, the polite US-based operator will:

· Delete the FT8 => DATA mode mapping from TQSL (in the “ADIF Modes” tab of TQSL’s Preferences dialog, select the FT8=>DATA mapping and then click the Delete button)

· Resubmit all FT8 QSOs to LoTW

This resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits already generated by the updated QSOs.

In summary, there is no reason to delay submitting your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. By configuring TQSL so you can immediately submit them, you’re enabling your QSO partners to quickly gain confirmations and award credits via this excellent new mode.

6. DF5WW

DF5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

7. PA2REH

PA2REH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

TQSL can be updated, so LoTW accepts FT8 and T10 modes, 73

YF8RQN likes this.
  8. VA7STV

VA7STV QRZ Engineering Manager Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 Support is now final and uploading FT8 contacts to LoTW should be working correctly.

Updates to add the other new modes in ADIF 3.0.6 will be implemented over the next day or so.

The LoTW upload status of all FT8 contacts has been reset to ensure they get uploaded correctly.

9. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does this mean that any FT8 contacts uploaded to LoTW and mapped to DATA will be reset somehow and we should re-upload as FT8?

Or just going forward, don't remap and upload FT8 as FT8?

10. VA7STV

KD2NOM,

No we have not done any special handling for contacts mapped to DATA as we have no way of knowing what the original mode was. The reset we did was to handle FT8 contacts that had been uploaded from QRZ to LoTW prior to LoTW supporting FT8, these contacts were rejected by LoTW but would have been marked as sent in your QRZ logbook and you would have had to edit each one and save it to be able to upload it again.