ad: elecraft

FT4 digital mode now available

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Push da button, yak on da fone.

So EZ, a CB er can do it.[​IMG]

2. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a smart use of the RF spectrum. Sort of like in the early days of tube radio when all you would hear was CW.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not following developments closely. Has it been decided if FT4 will remain available for use outside of contests when the final version of the software is released?

4. KM4SLW

KM4SLW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

so we got a faster robot.
    Joe Taylor is a smart guy, I wish he would put his talents towards an improved version of PSK31. Now that would be news. (And no, js8call isn't the answer)

5. VA3VF

What kind of improvements? Did you try the other modes available in FLDigi, for example?

It all depends on the improvements wanted. For some FT4 was the ultimate improvement.

6. KT4U

KT4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be grand to have decoding capabilities of JT-9 at the speed of FT-4 but you can't have everything. Incedently, I did log Joe Taylor K1JT on FT-8 on 6 meters so he is a user. I appreciate everything he has done for radio.

7. KM4SLW

Apply some of his weak signal knowledge to PSK. I realize it could never approach JT65 or FT8 levels, but some improvement would be nice in our low solar period.

Yes, I have tried most of the more common modes, RTTY, Olivia and it's cousins, etc. RTTY's lack of EC an issue, Olivia looks OK but doesn't have a huge following. The other modes are pretty "nitchey".

I've done tons of work in the past with JT65, JT9, FT8. (I was a beta tester on FT8). Just used FT8 for Field Day. It's fun to a point. But when you can walk away from the computer and take a leak, grab a drink from the fridge, return and your computer has logged a "contact" - I think there is a problem....

8. VA3VF

That is it. There are certain laws that cannot be broken.

9. VA3VF

A configuration problem, perhaps?

I see this mentioned all the time. I'm also an early FT8 adopter, and while I cannot 'force' you to believe me, it has never happened to me.

10. KM4SLW

JT9 was magic. You'd think the band was dead and suddenly stuff decoded seemingly from nowhere. ;)