FT-991A or FT-450D?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by CHERNOBYL2, Jun 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeat.....sorry. Deleted my post

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-991A has a spectrum scope, the FT-450D does not. Plus VHF/UHF, I would pay the additional money for the FT-991A.

3. WX4SGA

WX4SGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the FY-991A and love it. I also have a FTDX-3000. I do like the 991A for the ability to do the all band in such a small size and full power on all bands. I do like the ability to go from the 160M through 6M as well as the 2M-70cm. seamlessly. I like the scanning ability and the FLEX ability. I do like it and highly recommend this unit.

4. KD9JTI

KD9JTI Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I never posted that question. Second, because the answer is a no brainer. Grant it, the 991A costs about $400 more, if you can afford it, get the 991A: Spectrum Scope, multi-colored waterfall, triple conversion receiver, a lot better specs, HF plus VHF and UHF plus C$FM! The cooling fan is neat. As the radio gets warmer, when transmitting, the speed of the fan increases. When the radio cools, the fan will stop and reverse directions.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would probably go with an Icom 7300, rather than the others. I loved mine, with the one caveat that it lacks enough filtering to help out on 40m, IF you are in a higher-noise environment. That's really the only reason I got rid of it. I was ragging on it pretty bad for being lower-powered in the average power department, but proper use of the ALC and compression makes it work well. I now regret selling it, and not keeping it as a portable/workplace option. I'm in Korea, where radios are way overpriced, so I'll have to think about picking up another (or just something else -- because I like to try different radios) next year.

Otherwise, it's all of the radio that most people will need. And they're going used for $810 or so.

The spectrum scope on that radio is so much more usable than the Yaesu radios, it's not even funny.

6. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greg:

Well. THAT would be a neat trick. The fan REVERSES direction in the FT-991A when it cools off? For what reason? To warm the radio up when it's cold? Hmmmm. A radio that gets just a LITTLE bit TOO friendly with it's user. live and learn.

:)

Brian - K6BRN

7. KD9JTI

I had an FFT-991A and observed the fan's behavior using a flashlight. The 991A runs quite warm, which prompted me to observe the fan (to see if was actually working). Why the fan behaved that way, I have no idea. Neither did Yaesu.I was told, I'd have to contact Japan - Un unh, not worth it. I really, really liked that rado and would highly recommend it to any one.

8. KD9JTI

I had a good friend that strongly advised me to get the IC-7300 and was blown away when I got the 991A. The reason I bought the 991A was that it also had UHF/VHF AND C4FM. I spend most of my time on VHF and C4FM. So if I bought an IC-7300, I'd also have to by an F TM-400XDR, which buying the two radios would have been cost prohibitive. I am very saddened I had to sell the FT-991A, but I gave ny word. It was my friend's opinion also that the 7300 had a better scope. I found the 991A's scope was more than adequate. He did not know the 991A. I have the digital manuals for both the 991A and the 7300.

9. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greg:

If you were observing fan behavior with an LED flashlight, please be aware that these lights control their output by quickly switching the beam on and off. usually, low is 50% dity cycle (or close to it) and high is either 100% on or 80% or so, depending on thermal limits of the case and LED. So - they can and do act just like a stroboscope. (so can flourescent lights)

Using a stroboscope on any spinning wheel can make it SEEM to turn backwards, depending on the frequency differential between the flashing light and spinning object.

Try again under sunlight or incandescent light (NOT led or flourescent - both "strobe" on and off). I really do NOT think the FT-991/A fan would reverse directions based on temperature. There is no reason to. It makes no sense. And the stroboscope effect would explain why the Yaesu techs were stumped.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

N2PQW and WD4IGX like this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd rather have the 2nd radio, but that's just me. Can't do HF at the same time as VHF/UHF/C4FM, when you've got an all-in-one box. Having a 2nd radio gives you that option.