ad: Waters-2

FT 9000 Contest

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N1JGE, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N1JGE

N1JGE Ham Member QRZ Page

While at HRO Salem yesterday I seen my first FT 9000, it was on co signment ($4800). I never seen one before although I've seen the and played with the FT5000. This thing is huge and I was really impress. I wish it was there last April before I bought my new rigs. As I left with my tounge hanging I'm wondering just how good the FT 9000 really is?

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It's no better than your ears.

3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The PEP upgrade definitely helped the FT-9000 series. The early run models had a lot of issues. But by then, I suspect the damage had been done. Who wanted to spend that kind of $$$ for a problem rig?

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SERIOUS MONEY for those when they came out. Some of the FT9K models went for FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! WOW!!!

That thing is as big as a Heathkit DX-100B and almost as heavy!

Basically, it is a FTdx5000 with the Microtuning modules and DMU-2000 built in. I would LOVE to have one of those, but not the Contest model. I want the FTdx9000D model with the big LCD Screen. But then, I don't have $14K! $4800 is DIRT CHEAP!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My neighbor Dave WA6DKN has one, and an IC-7800, and an FTDX-5000 and a K3 and a Kenwood TS-990 (his newest one).

He uses them all but tells me he likes the TS-990 best over all of them. I'm not totally sure why.

Catch him on the air and let him rotate through the rigs...:eek:

6. N1JGE

Had to back up yesterday, it says pep on back. It's real nice shape but I need to move on and stop thinking about it and besides it won't fit into my desk.

7. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FTdx-5000 is a better radio at half the price.

8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably sounds as good as my Heathkit HW-101 on the air.

Bill

9. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but, is that HW-101 going to help you score with the ladies like an FT-9000? I mean, how's that going to look when you invite her down to your shack and then you have to say something like "hold on, this will take a minute, the tubes have to warm up?" With that FT-9000, it's ready for action the minute you hit that big glorious switch.

I know which radio that I'd rather have, know what I'm sayin?

10. AB8RO

What, no hilberling? Amateur!

11. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are trying to score with the ladies by showing them some overpriced ham gear, you need to get a new line.:rolleyes:

Bill

12. WA6MHZ

I BETTER not bring any ladies into the Shack to show them my FT5K! My WIFE will be just outside the shack door with a ROLLING PIN!!!!

13. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how well it extrapolates but she may consider the fact that you kept the same rig all these many years and kept it running might apply to her and marriage.
    She only has to think that until the next morning. Then all bets are off. :p

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing I look for in a rig are the documented "problems" with the rigs.

For example, the FT2000 and the preamp blowup problems. The FT1000mp MkV and the key click and other issues. The older Icom PRO's and how they suddenly stop transmitting / display failure issues etc etc.

I wont even look at a 9000, IC 7800 or even an FT5000 or even a K3, KX3 for that matter. I think they are simply overrated and overpriced.

Go to You Tube and see people doing side by side A/B comparisons using these so called high end rigs, against old dinosaur era artifacts such as the FT-1000D, TS950DX's and even the lowly FT-817 for that matter to see what I mean. I think you will be surprised to see such minuscule differences between the rigs that don't even come close to justifying the higher costs in most cases.

I think most people buy these rigs using their eyes, and not their ears.

For example, did you know an old FT1000D boat anchor from the 1990's will a good set of filters, will actually smoke a newer whiz bang FT 2000 when subjected to contest operating conditions?

Don't forget to watch the guys comparing FT5000's against FT 2000's either. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  15. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

If you can get her into the shack, you can score with a DX-40. And a couple of glasses of wine.

Getting her into the shack is the hard part.

Bill

16. AB8RO

Careful with that kind of talk. You don't want to raise the hopes of our younger brothers too much, especially if the only real result is to drive up the prices of DX-40s.

17. N1JGE

Like anything else I think your always going to get a few lemons. I'm pretty much stuck with my 7410 and if I decide in the future on a ft2k-d or even a ft5k-d hopefully I don't get a lemon.

18. WA6MHZ

FTdx5000s are GREAT, but they have a GRAVE ISSUE with White Lines on the OLED Displays. FT-2000s have been phased out and work OK, but no where NEAR what a 5000 does.

The TOP DXERS in the world all go for the Elecraft K3. I don't like it cuz it doesn't have all the pretty KNOBS and DIALS the 5K has. The 9K has even MORE KNOBS!!!! But the PRETTIEST and WHIZZEST BANG radio in the world is the new Kenwood TS-990S. However, recent tests done privately in our DX Club have shown the 990 doesn't perform as well as the K3.

So the Absolute BEST radio in the world (except maybe the HIBERLING) is the K3.
    The Prettiest is the TS-990S
    But a good compromise is the FT-5K

19. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Grave issue" is vastly overstating the problem. Yes, the FTdx-5000 is prone to getting white vertical lines in the OLED displays, but these are purely cosmetic and don't affect the operation of the rig in any way.

20. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

When you say the 990 does not "perform as well", specifically, what do you mean?

I played around with a K3, before I bought my 590S. I did not like a few things on the K3, namely the display. Heck, my wife was there and said, "Get it, if you want it!". I opted for the 590 and am very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.