Ft 857 low Rx Audio

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by 8P6ET, Oct 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 8P6ET

8P6ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Good evening, has anyone encountered the FT 857 having a low rx audio on all bands and modes. The loudest sound heard is the beep when going through various selections.
    Nothing is heard from the speaker , the rf gain and squelch are working as they should.
    I am looking forward to any suggestions

2. N0DBX

N0DBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this with the internal speaker? Did you try an external?

I replaced the speaker in a buddies 817 and believe they are the same part and therefore "Known to Fail". The service manual is available on-line and these radios are very serviceable.

3. 8P6ET

8P6ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning, I did try a external speaker and nothing heard.I did here a extremely faint rx with the headphones. I did a full reset to factory defaults and still no change. I will download the service manual and see what I can do from here but I believe the best thing is to it state side to have a complete run through as it will be in use for Emergency Communications for Hurricane Season mainly.

4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the beep volume loud, or is it as muted as the other audio? Odd that the internal speaker would work better than an external speaker, but it sounds like an amplifier problem to me (bad audio amplifier or the support parts around it).