FT-817 non-ND extended transmit range?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3RW, Sep 8, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 222 transverter that works great from 28-30 MHz, so I get 222 and 223. It would also work for repeaters but my ICOMs don't give 30.1-32 MHz with the MARS/CAP mod. I couldn't tell what ranges are actually opened up with a FT-817 mod ( 60m? 30-99 MHz?).

If I opened up the FT-817 non-ND I have, will it allow tx/rx to 30.1, 31, 32, etc.? Our local repeaters for 1.25m are above 224, one at 224.800.

FYI... some Ukraine transverters would actually need tx coverage at 27 MHz (!) to get the full band. Mine isn't one of those.

Related question... would opening up the extended tx range (regardless of whether it covers 31 MHz) cause any unintended problems... like lower sensitivity in ham bands, screw up something,

Our 1.25m repeaters are practically silent year round, bit they are monitored and well-sited. It would be helpful in a VHF contest to ask on repeaters, particularly for a simplex QSO on 223 since most listeners would already have FM equipment.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Typically, amateur radio equipment won't "open up" beyond 30.0 MHz.

My old, but still very useful, Hallicrafters HA-2 (2-meter) and HA-6 (6-meter), designed for 28.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz i.f., have 2-crystals so that the entire VHF band can be covered. With my "opened up" Uniden HR-2510 I can use the crystal for the high range to get all but the top 300 kHz (the HR-2510 covers 26.0 MHz to 29.6999 MHz). I usually don't use the HR-2510 with the Hallicrafters transverters. However, I do use it for my 432 MHz transverter and that gives me 430.0 MHz to 433.6999 MHz.

Using an "opened up" transceiver for an i.f. for transverters is perfectly legal. However, connecting to an antenna and transmitting on frequencies outside of the amateur bands is a no no (except for MARS operators). Modification information for such use is OK here on QRZ.com whereas modifying for any other use (MARS operators can get the information from their director) is not allowed.

Glen, K9STH

K3RW likes this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. My dad is heavy into MARS and most of my gear came from him. But I question WHY so many people get the 'MARS mod' when there seem to be so few people in it.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than tamper with the HF gear, I'd just install a second crystal and a switch to switch to the "other" crystal which creates L.O. injection 2 MHz higher than the first one.

Unfortunately, custom crystals aren't cheap these days! But, they're certainly available.

My old Microwave Modules MMT-144/28R (U.K. manufactured, c. 1980 or so) had two L.O. crystals and a switch for exactly this reason (came from the factory that way)...so tuning 28-30 covered 144-146 in one range, then 146-148 in the other range. Didn't have to mod anything, they designed it that way.

Smart thinking. And back then crystals cost less.:p

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RW:

Unfortunately, there are a number of, especially relatively new, amateur radio operators who haven't given up their "CB" roots or "freebanding" roots and want to use the equipment illegally for those activities. Of course, there are those who don't have an amateur radio operator's license who want to use the equipment, illegally, for the same activities.

Glen, K9STH

K3RW likes this.